'28a1 W/ Drum For Sale On Subuns

Not that I have any room to gripe, but UUUUUUUGGGGG-LLLLLYYYYY!

The color. It's really grey. I've not seen a 28 like that. I believe it when he says parkerized, but not refinished? Since when?

If that's what they're going for now, I could have $4K profit on mine, purchased last year, not counting the drum. Didn't mean that to sound like a gloat. I'd gladly trade this perceived profit margin to have prices back to last year's level.

Look at the front grip.

Looks very "slab sided" to me. Is it a WH/Kahr grip?

Norm

QUOTE (The1930sRust @ Jul 8 2004, 08:22 PM)
The color. It's really grey. I've not seen a 28 like that. I believe it when he says parkerized, but not refinished? Since when?

So is statement doesn't hold water on original finish... When did parking come into play on tsmg?

When they were reworked at the arsenals after or during the war. Parking is NOT, I repeat NOT a factory finish. At least during that time frame.

Something just doesn't seem right with Parkerizing on a 1928! A lot of M1 Thompsons have it but a 1928 without the black finish, well, I guess it can be redone.

It's still a Thompson, though, albeit a kinda expensive one. It will probably sell.

My C3 dealer would price a '28A1 in the $14.5k to $16k range. Add $1k for the drum and you're right at his asking price. I think that's the market for '28s. I would guess M1s are $13k to $14k.

There are so few guns changing hands it's really hard to say.

I agree with Kyle's assessment. The supply of ALL class 3 guns is fixed. The demand is increasing as more and more become aware of the paperwork to go thru and where to find F/A guns. Look what happened to the $2,900.00 Uzis. Even the entry level Mac contiunues to rise in price. With Colt's fetching $19,000.00 to $24,000.00 and Westy 28s bringing $10,000.00 to $12,000.00 the price for military 28s will continue to rise, it is just hard to imagine the price going up this fast. The old adage "You won't pay to much just to soon" is holding true.

I hate to say it, but you guys were right. I remember arguing about a year ago, that I would just save and buy my Thompson with cash. Some of you said that the inflation of these would exceed interest rates. You were absolutely correct. What I didn't realize at the time, is how tight the availability would become. I'm glad I didn't listen to that sensible inner voice, but plunged instead into the Thompson Abyss.

It just proves that ANY transferable Thompson is a good Thompson to have! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

Now that's what you call strong as a rope, a big rope.

Does anyone really, really, really need (as in gotta have it) the Mobile PD 28????

I could put a kid through a couple of years of college or at this rate, hold onto it for a few years and put them all through college with it!!!!!

Ken

QUOTE (TNKen @ Jul 9 2004, 11:30 AM)
Does anyone really, really, really need (as in gotta have it) the Mobile PD 28????

Ken if I were you I'd hang on to it for awhile. I don't see these things going anywhere but up.

By the way, mine is also a P.D. gun just like yours without the distinctive engraving. My transfer was approved July 1 and I hope to have it in the next couple of weeks.