Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

• 1 month later...

Greetings. New to forum. Purchased a 1928 WH Thompson back in June 2017. Checked cashed, now waiting.

The last three suppressors (2016-17) two took a year and the other 11 months.

The last two NFA firearms I acquired (2014) were sent in at the same time, and they took a year.

I was really hoping this transfer would do better.

Enjoy reading all the information on this site.

Thanks

Moose

Greetings. New to forum. Purchased a 1928 WH Thompson back in June 2017. Checked cashed, now waiting.

The last three suppressors (2016-17) two took a year and the other 11 months.

The last two NFA firearms I acquired (2014) were sent in at the same time, and they took a year.

I was really hoping this transfer would do better.

Enjoy reading all the information on this site.

Thanks

Moose

Welcome, Moose1

Tons of info here, I know I never stop learning from this board!

Well my (Form 4, Individual) transfer going great. In 12 more days it's going to be a full 14 months! :wacko: :angry2:

Received stamp on Daniel Defense SBR today. It took five months and three weeks. Individual Form 4 paper. Getting better.

I received today my stamp for my SilencerCo Omega silencer for my DD SBR. Five months and a little over one week. Individual Form 4 paper. Not bad.

Robert

Edited by Robert Henley

Received stamp on Daniel Defense SBR today. It took five months and three weeks. Individual Form 4 paper. Getting better.

I received today my stamp for my SilencerCo Omega silencer for my DD SBR. Five months and a little over one week. Individual Form 4 paper. Not bad.

Robert

That is good news !! Congrats

Stampcollector

Thank you. I have been reading all the info on the site and learning a lot. All the Thompson books I have acquired do have good info in them, but I learn more from the guys discussing their issues and repairs they do.

A good friend of mine (Glen Whittenbeger) passed away a few years back and he was a wealth of knowledge on Thompsons and reloading.

With all the talk on faster transfers these days, I was really hoping on a quicker one this time. By the way, I can feel your pain.

Moose1

Stampcollector

Thank you. I have been reading all the info on the site and learning a lot. All the Thompson books I have acquired do have good info in them, but I learn more from the guys discussing their issues and repairs they do.

A good friend of mine (Glen Whittenbeger) passed away a few years back and he was a wealth of knowledge on Thompsons and reloading.

With all the talk on faster transfers these days, I was really hoping on a quicker one this time. By the way, I can feel your pain.

Moose1

Welcome and congrats! Some F4 individuals seem to be coming in around 6 months, others much longer. Keep us posted.

Ron

Friend of mine sent Form 4 paper, in-State, person to person, July 15, 2017. Approved 12/20/2017, postmarked 12/28/2017, Stamp arrived 1/4/2018.

His first Machinegun, 173 days.

Edited by wwiifirearms

Friend of mine sent Form 4 paper, in-State, person to person, July 15, 2017. Approved 12/20/2017, postmarked 12/28/2017, Stamp arrived 1/4/2018.

His first Machinegun, 173 days.

Same time I sent mine in and now I like that news.

Eric

14 months as of today, just say'n. If you were to tell me I'd be waiting through 2 Christmases I would laugh, I ain't laughing now!

Paper form 4 mailed out 11/08/16 Dang!

Called NFA the week between Xmas and New years and the woman said to give it one more month and if I don't hear anything to call back and ask for a supervisor. We shall see!

Okay this morning I called and talked to NFA and asked for supervisor, got voice message and I left a message to call me back. About 5pm this evening NFA called me back and after talking to them about the long wait, she said let me have your serial # and she looked it up she said there was a problem with my back ground check. That a mister-meaner (that did not disqualify me from approval) I had back in 1984 kick me to a FBI background check. She said that I was sent to FBI background check because once they see that it has to sent to FBI to finish the background check, and they are backed up but are doing October 2016 now, that November will be soon. She said you probably get held up when buying a handgun and I said yeah I do. She said that's why. She explained that when buying a firearm they do a NICS background and by law they have to give an answer within 48hrs. But NFA doesn't by law have to do the check within 48hrs and they can only do so many a day and volume is high right now.

So that tells me why the long wait, and at least I know now. They usually do background in house and move on, the FBI background check is only if something is flagged and mine was. She said once it's flagged it has to be physically looked at by FBI.

That explains why some transfers go through faster than others.

Hope what I said makes sense.

#1: Background checks and NFA - NFA gets NICS checks done but unlike with FFL initiated checks, the FBI does not make a determination. You may get told different, but it is ATF's decision. FBI has three business days to work a check for a dealer (.gov business days, purpose being for research/getting responses from LEAs and courts so if you get delayed on a Friday before a holiday weekend, it will be a week til you can acquire if not resolved sooner). After the third business day has passed, the dealer has the option - but not obligation - to transfer the firearm. When a dealer submits the check and it's delayed, the FBI calculates the transfer date for them.

#2: Expungements; this varies by state. Some have multiple types of expungement with some being a "true" expungement and others not. Some states have automatic restoration upon completion of sentence or after a waiting period excluding specified offenses, others have relief certificates or the option to petition the court for post-sentence reductions, relief or dismissal. Some states have nothing of the sort and you are left with governor's pardon or nothing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Sent in a form 1 for rewat and a form 4 transfer both on Feb. 20 th of 2017. Same envelope. Got a few phone calls and emails on both guns same inspector was doing both, answered all questions on both same day. Stamp for the rewat arrived 12/23. Eamailed and asked if they needed anything else on the transfer and received a thanks for your patience email today? What makes a 5 week difference?