Lewis .30 Aircraft Drum needs some help ...

Question for Mr. Stump, attached are photos of a .30 Lewis Aircraft Drum that I recently obtained from an estate. It appears that a prior owner removed rivets securing the cover plate. Everything else appears to be present and in good order? Can this be put back in working order, or should I place it out in the trash can next week?

Thanks much for your time!

Frank

0D1B2934-CAEA-4C6E-B489-EA17EDB82F3C.jpeg

D93270A6-C03A-46ED-9C27-149E0E5417A0.jpeg

66F5E43A-3D1F-4EED-AC68-C6F558CDE8FF.jpeg

F6FB0D3A-D6D6-4097-A6BD-BE5DB3A1AFDF.jpeg

8BD4FEE2-F028-4B06-A7F3-737466C79F07.jpeg

D3D779B1-04DE-441B-99DB-84C9350CF2DF.jpeg

6C629AF3-A7DA-45BC-B4F6-8481D7882C6E.jpeg

Inertord,

While I haven't worked on a 97 round drum, it looks repairable. At least the rivet holes in the aluminum hub aren't broken out. If you want I'll take a look at it, please keep in mind that the cancer slowed me down a bunch. I'll go through my books this weekend, it's possible they used bolts not rivets.

Frank,

Congratulation on your find.

If any one can help you it would be Doug.

Will the 97 rd pan work on the standard Lewis or is a higher post necessary on the receiver??

Jim C

97 round drum will work just fine. No modification required. However taller sights are needed to see over the drum.

Thanks guys! It appears that rivets were used as shown in maxfaxdudes photo. The aluminum webbing at the rivet areas is approximately .085 thick and counterbored to accommodate the expanded tail end of the rivets.

CEF9584F-EC1C-485E-81F6-8D1EE9B5D844.jpeg

Edited by inertord

Jim,

The cancer hasn't come back, yet, and hopefully it never will (next PET scan is 25 Oct). But I still have all the damage it caused. One adrenal gland gone and the other badly damaged. Between the cancer and the treatment the thyroid finally gave up. The liver I wasn't worried about, it can regrow. SOme kidney damage on both sides. Plus the major surgery when they gutted me like a catfish! I don't tolerate temperature changes worth a damn. But like it says in the Elton John song, "I'm still standing."

Unfortunately, I lost a good friend & shooting partner to B cell lymphoma a month ago. He went from Taekwondo instructor to hospital bed in a couple of weeks. Cancer sucks!

Doug

Doug,

Sorry to learn the cancer reoccurred.

Seems like you were cancer free for quite a while. I had hoped you had it beat.

Hang in there and best of luck.

Jim C