Why Is My Bolt Locking Back?

Looks like I was one of the fortunate ones with a 1927 that worked, at least until this weekend. After 5 years of no problems something was bound to happen. Went to the range this weekend and the bolt would lock back in the open position after every round fired. Tried a stick mag & a drum, it would lock using both. I verified that it wasn't the locking catch for the magazine that was hanging it up. I disassembled the gun tonight and everything was right where it was supposed to be. I changed the mag catch out a few weeks ago so I thought I might have put the gun back together wrong http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif but I didn't. Is there anything else internally that could cause the problem? What about the disconector? What exactly does that thing do?

I doubt the disconnector could be the problem - its only job is to "reset" the firing mechanism to a non-firing condition until the trigger is released. Sounds more like the problem is in the magazine-operated pawl/trip lever train that locks the bolt open when the magazine is empty. Check to see if the pawl (the front end of which protrudes into the upper end of the mag-channel) moves freely and returns to the "down" position when released. If not, it's either binding or a spring is missing. The bolt shouldn't lock back until the pawl tension is overcome by the stronger mag spring, which raises the pawl allowing the rear end of the trip lever to engage the bolt.

I have had this problem with 2 guns - in both cases it was a weak spring allowing the mag hold open pawl to raise up even the mags were full and hold the bolt back.

I had chunks of brass from the casings get in once between the frame and the bolt hold open lever. Washed it out with spray solvent and went back in action. Got to be something like that or the spring as mentioned before. Good luck http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif