ATF asks for proof the POC M6 is C&R

Just received a Form 4 back accompanied by a letter stating that our Ingram M6 is not a C&R. That is according to their information. Years ago, we fid a FOIA request on SN 261, our M6. It was originally entered in the NFRTR in February of 1952 on a Form 2 several other MGs. This was not uncommon for a C2 to list several at a time. Then a few months later a corrected Form 2 was submitted and approved.

Both Form 2s had SN261 listed as most of the other information was redacted as it usually is. In fact, the original FOIA request only resulted in the first Form 2. So we appealed and received the rest. SN261 eventually transferred to a CA SO in the 1950s and was transferred to a C3 in the 1980s.

The current transferee is a C &R license holder. The ATF also asked us to give them more information that this POC M6 is a C&R. All that I can think of is to send them photos of the weapon, concentrating on the nomenclature on the receiver and sending in the copies of the Form 2s that I have. I figure that whatever information as to the manufacturer is listed on their screen when pulling up information.

Since we us the EForm data base, the manufacturer listed is as a Form 2 registration. I added additional information to the Form 4, describing the nomenclature and such on the weapon. I understand that the record keeping at the NFA, especially in the NFRTR is not 100% accurate. How knows what prompted that Form 2 registration would be listed on our Form 3 and the NFA cannot verify that POC is the manufacturer or it was not originally entered as such in 1952.

I currently have the Mac Man book as I have used that as a reference in locating date ranges for the manufacturing of the Ingram Model 6 45acp Police Ordnance Company of Los Angeles CA.

post-237-0-13226600-1563292007_thumb.jpeg

post-237-0-32739800-1563292038_thumb.jpeg

Intersting. The Ingram M6 is specifically mentioned as C&R in Section IV, page 48 of ATF Publication 5300.11.

Edited by TSMGguy

Hi,

Since the M6 has been in the registry over 50 years, it may be worth pointing out to BATF that it makes no difference who manufactured the firearm as it far exceeds the age requirement of a C&R firearm.

This may not float well with a new owner if POC is not listed as the manufacturer. It wouldn't be the first registration to be in error.

Good Luck,

Grasshopper

• 2 months later...

The issues we face, is that the Ingram is listed as a Form2 registration in their data base. Which is reflected in our eForms account. Our FOIA request paperwork shows that it was manufactured in 1952. There were several others on the same Form 2. The problem lies with those on the NFA branch end.

For whatever reasons it has not yet been resolved. They have enough proof from our end to make the correct entry.

As another response earlier in this thread, stated that he has had experience with some examiners that look at Form 2s from 07/02 as a post sample and not a reactivating of a dewat. Again, it is possible that whomever is responsible for the kick back. Does not understand that a Form 2 registration is part of the manufacturerimg process, regardless of date.

The original Form 2 information should be available to the NFA as we have a RIP copy.

Seems like an easy fix. Do this long enough and this kind of situation will pop up.

Obviously, your transfer went flawlessly as the information reflects the true status of this weapon.

Edited by fifthmdec

• 2 months later...