Last Knob Creek Shoot

Heard from a friend - the weather is great and so are the crowds judging from this picture taken by TD on US31W early this morning. W/B KCR traffic waiting to turn onto CR44. Glad Im not there!

03F64E98-78D2-44CE-951B-DDD2930727E2.jpeg

Edited by 1921A

I just had a text from my people working at Knob Creek.
Route 44 is closed at Jerry's liquor (that picture is posted on the web)
It is my understanding that the Sheriff had them close the gate at the range, too many people on the property.
If you walk down there you can't buy a ticket to get in.
I would suggest calling the range and verify this info BEFORE you make that long drive or walk down from Dixie Highway.

Richard

Ill be blunt-IT WAS A F@@CKING CLUSTER F@@K and a complete goat rope to try and get in. I sat for 3 hours to get in this morning....3 hours to go 1.1 Miles!! Some guys it took them over 5 hrs and some said the hell with it and turned around.

Ive been sitting here for 45 min trying to get out of the damn grounds now. I love this place but Im fed up!! Sitting in traffic twice for hours at a time within 12 hours of each other tends to piss me off.

Too many people for sure. Couldnt walk around without running into someone. Hard to look at anything. The SubGun Match was over booked and then with the traffic issue we were light on shooters so tomorrow will be a mess. Defiantly not one of my most fun Knob Creek times. I love this place but Im ready for it to be over.....and Im not the only one who says that.

Ill be blunt-IT WAS A F@@CKING CLUSTER F@@K and a complete goat rope to try and get in. I sat for 3 hours to get in this morning....3 hours to go 1.1 Miles!! Some guys it took them over 5 hrs and some said the hell with it and turned around.

Ive been sitting here for 45 min trying to get out of the damn grounds now. I love this place but Im fed up!! Sitting in traffic twice for hours at a time within 12 hours of each other tends to piss me off.

Too many people for sure. Couldnt walk around without running into someone. Hard to look at anything. The SubGun Match was over booked and then with the traffic issue we were light on shooters so tomorrow will be a mess. Defiantly not one of my most fun Knob Creek times. I love this place but Im ready for it to be over.....and Im not the only one who says that.

Google maps shows a lot of red of the smaller roads.

The last machine gun shoot at Knob Creek was certainly something to experience. David and I were greeted at 7:15am on Hwy 31W to a line of cars about a mile from the turn off by the liquor store on Hwy 44 or Sites Station Road. And we sat. And sat. The line behind us was out of sight. It took over an hour to make the left turn. And then we sat some more! We saw vendors walking toward the Creek in an attempt to get to their tables. The Huey helicopter pilots passed by and we talked with them for a few minutes. Colt Chopper was a few cars ahead of us with a useless parking pass because he could not get to the gate. At 10:15am we finally made the gate to the Knob Creek range and were afforded the opportunity to park on the lower range or overflow parking. The mud was not too bad but it was not good either. The bus ride to the ticket booth was memorable. We entered the show a little after 10:30am. Crowded is not the word. It was packed. The usual t-shirt booth or small trailer on the walking road to the show and shoot was not there. The t-shirt line in the Clubhouse seemed like it went on for miles. Within a short time the lines for lunch started forming and they were extremely long - all day. We were blessed with an early afternoon shower that I am sure everyone in line for food enjoyed. I saw vendors eating MREs in the show.

I saw three Colt's at the show. A NAVY A and two 21ACs. One at 45K, one at 60K; the other was not priced. I gave a cursory look at two of the Colt's. Both had barrel issues. Our good friend Phil Askew arrived early and started walking the show from the back. Needless to say, there were no Thompson parts left when I got to the back part of the show. The good news is Phil replenished his parts supply and will be fully stocked next year at the Hill Family Show & Shoot (and for mail order). Also, MnShooter found a few Colt parts in the show that he needed. For the first time since I have been going to the Creek, I left the crowded pole barn (just to breath again) and ventured down to the subgun range. Got Uzi was very busy keeping everything running smoothly. I do not envy him today!

Small Arms Review magazine donated (thank you) cases of this months all Thompson issue for the attendees and everyone seemed to be taking advantage of this freebie. There were not many issues left when we left the show around 6:00pm. Those that attend on Saturday may be out of luck.

While very crowded at points in the show, I did manage to visit with some friends along the way. For me, that is the main reason for going to the show. Of course, if Phil was not there I may have found a few Thompson parts :) The bus ride back to the parking lot was a lot of fun and David and I met Phil and another friend for dinner at Mark's Feed Store for a great meal.

I cannot imagine the chaos that will ensue today. I am sure we will hear about it on this great forum!

Knob Creek 8Oct2021.jpg

It was still a great time yesterday, despite the long wait to get in. I wish I had waited earlier in the T-shirt line that went out the door, and outside the pole barn. When I got within about 25 people left in line, they ran out of the shirts, except for size medium. I guess I have enough Knob Creek shirts already, though they were talking about getting more after today, so maybe mail order will be an option.

It was great to see many friends there, though I heard some other friends were there that I never ran into, because it was so crowded. Marks Feed Store was wonderful, as usual, and it was great to see Phil there for his first time.

Here are some photos taken yesterday. Tom, thanks again for driving. Weve been to many Creeks together, and hopefully there may be another chapter to this story someday.

62234EF3-1567-4A04-B782-C5B01FA8F22E.jpeg69C02F74-CC7F-43F1-B25F-1F751EE3F29D.jpeg2B368D2C-CFDB-4E04-AB6A-473F3194EC16.jpeg689DC36A-CB24-48AC-8572-4BBCD649F307.jpegA9D35580-E285-4CE0-B639-34017263C97D.jpeg215EB3FE-E084-40A7-BB2B-38156AF38F19.jpeg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

All the hassles were worth it. It was awesome! Traffic jam unbelievable. Turn out stupendous. Souvenir T-shit line out the door. Great crowd. Many courteous drivers would let a car in ahead of them and we finally made it to our table just before the 9:00AM opening. So many dealers stuck in traffic jam they delayed the 9:00AM opening.

If you missed the last ever Creek you missed a great event. 50 great years. I've been there for the last 12. My $0.02

Edited by hawksnest

At the SubGun Range we had 218 completed runs and if you add in the DNFs or DQs we had 232 (I think) Im exhausted. Looking forward to driving home.

The final results of the Fall 2021 Knob Creek National SubGun Match were certified last night by 9pm and I can proudly say that I took 1st in three classes and 3rd in another. I was also the Top Gun award winner-meaning i shot the fastest run out of those 218 competed runs. Of the top four fastest runs made-I had 3 of them....and I did NOT use a Thompson or my M3, but rather a Swedish K and MP5.

I spent way more than I planned but I purchased a good amount of parts for other subguns and such. Also picked up a nice pile of items to resell.

Here are links to my top 3 runs

• Upvote 1

I was there Thursday morning through Saturday night. The traffic coming from Shepherdsville seemed to move much faster than that on 31W, we had some delays Friday and Saturday morning but none added up to more than 45 minutes. We were very lucky with that. Pole barn was so crowded I rarely left our tables. Forum members stopping by to visit which was enjoyable, glad I was able to spend some time with them. We departed prior to the final night shoot and surprisingly had little delay in traffic on the way out.

As far as finds, nothing to speak of but then again I wasn't out looking very much.

Sad note, on Saturday afternoon a man collapsed at the end of the row next to us with a suspected heart attack, seem forever before the EMTs arrived, he was given a number of shocks with a defibrillator but the out come did not look positive. Hopefully further news of this will be posted on some of the forums.

At the SubGun Range we had 218 completed runs and if you add in the DNFs or DQs we had 232 (I think) Im exhausted. Looking forward to driving home.

The final results of the Fall 2021 Knob Creek National SubGun Match were certified last night by 9pm and I can proudly say that I took 1st in three classes and 3rd in another. I was also the Top Gun award winner-meaning i shot the fastest run out of those 218 competed runs. Of the top four fastest runs made-I had 3 of them....and I did NOT use a Thompson or my M3, but rather a Swedish K and MP5.

I spent way more than I planned but I purchased a good amount of parts for other subguns and such. Also picked up a nice pile of items to resell.

Just think how well you would have done had the show started off better for you. All that waiting in traffic, all those people, etc. Congrats on your finishes.

Yea, congrats

This is the only time I was happy I didn't have a badge to get in. When that happens I leave a lot later, so this time I left very early and only sat in traffic 30 min. Had I gotten there at the usual 8:30 it would have been really bad. One friend who did that got to his tables at 1:00 on Friday. I was out with a table on the corner of the hwy. on Saturday early and not only sold a lot, but did a fascinating study on the human condition, the economy, and made a bunch of money at the same time. Stuff that didn't sell at all. 8mm at .50, hornady 5.45x39 at .70 and a lot of other deals. I saw a lot of people empty handed when they left....stuff too heavy to carry out. Just like everyone else things I though I would sell quick didn't move at all and stuff I thought would never sell, sold. Did sell some rare stuff and items you couldn't buy in the pole barn and the buyers knew it from Friday and cleaned them out.

I had 4 items on the list and got 3. Of course the list always gets updated as you walk thru with stuff you didn't think you'd ever see there like an M8 NIW grenade launcher or the elevator for a MG08 sled mount because you really couldn't remember how bad you needed those items? LOL

Unfortunately after 20+ years there are people I'll never see again and a lot of casual networking and information sharing will go down the crapper. Most all the people I know never post on the internet so not getting together in person is a huge loss to the overall community. Lots of discussions about ongoing shoots at the creek, but no show and shows with no shoots as well, but it will take management, organizational skills, and someone to step up or step aside to make that happen. I certainly understand current ownership wanting to "retire" or not have the ambition, and my take may certainly be way off base, but they are more like concert promoters/facilitators. The talent are the vendors, shooters, and many cases customers and they have a desire to keep having woodstock, but the farmer has decided to let the field go fallow. That is clearly their choice and I have total respect for that, but sometimes the event is much bigger than the promoter and unfortunately for us that "field" is very unique in many ways and has a lot of history for literally tens of thousands of people that likely can't be replaced.

To repeat, I have total respect for the family and their decision, but hopefully they'll consider other options going forward.

This is the only time I was happy I didn't have a badge to get in. When that happens I leave a lot later, so this time I left very early and only sat in traffic 30 min. Had I gotten there at the usual 8:30 it would have been really bad. One friend who did that got to his tables at 1:00 on Friday. I was out with a table on the corner of the hwy. on Saturday early and not only sold a lot, but did a fascinating study on the human condition, the economy, and made a bunch of money at the same time. Stuff that didn't sell at all. 8mm at .50, hornady 5.45x39 at .70 and a lot of other deals. I saw a lot of people empty handed when they left....stuff too heavy to carry out. Just like everyone else things I though I would sell quick didn't move at all and stuff I thought would never sell, sold. Did sell some rare stuff and items you couldn't buy in the pole barn and the buyers knew it from Friday and cleaned them out.

I had 4 items on the list and got 3. Of course the list always gets updated as you walk thru with stuff you didn't think you'd ever see there like an M8 NIW grenade launcher or the elevator for a MG08 sled mount because you really couldn't remember how bad you needed those items? LOL

Unfortunately after 20+ years there are people I'll never see again and a lot of casual networking and information sharing will go down the crapper. Most all the people I know never post on the internet so not getting together in person is a huge loss to the overall community. Lots of discussions about ongoing shoots at the creek, but no show and shows with no shoots as well, but it will take management, organizational skills, and someone to step up or step aside to make that happen. I certainly understand current ownership wanting to "retire" or not have the ambition, and my take may certainly be way off base, but they are more like concert promoters/facilitators. The talent are the vendors, shooters, and many cases customers and they have a desire to keep having woodstock, but the farmer has decided to let the field go fallow. That is clearly their choice and I have total respect for that, but sometimes the event is much bigger than the promoter and unfortunately for us that "field" is very unique in many ways and has a lot of history for literally tens of thousands of people that likely can't be replaced.

To repeat, I have total respect for the family and their decision, but hopefully they'll consider other options going forward.

Well done...

kcr21.PNG

If you know where the reserve lower parking is, here is the extreme back of the lot, at top right, on Saturday mid morning.

Tough to see from the photo, but the cars were all the way back to the edge of the trees.

And, it was absolutely worth the walk. (Yes there were bus shuttles, doing a great "Romancing The Stone" impression).

Anyone who thinks they can do better, managing that many people, in the limitations of that location -I hope you do, in 22!

Edited by mnshooter

It was still a great time yesterday, despite the long wait to get in. I wish I had waited earlier in the T-shirt line that went out the door, and outside the pole barn. When I got within about 25 people left in line, they ran out of the shirts, except for size medium. I guess I have enough Knob Creek shirts already, though they were talking about getting more after today, so maybe mail order will be an option.

It was great to see many friends there, though I heard some other friends were there that I never ran into, because it was so crowded. Marks Feed Store was wonderful, as usual, and it was great to see Phil there for his first time.

Here are some photos taken yesterday. Tom, thanks again for driving. Weve been to many Creeks together, and hopefully there may be another chapter to this story someday.

62234EF3-1567-4A04-B782-C5B01FA8F22E.jpeg 69C02F74-CC7F-43F1-B25F-1F751EE3F29D.jpeg 2B368D2C-CFDB-4E04-AB6A-473F3194EC16.jpeg 689DC36A-CB24-48AC-8572-4BBCD649F307.jpeg A9D35580-E285-4CE0-B639-34017263C97D.jpeg 215EB3FE-E084-40A7-BB2B-38156AF38F19.jpeg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I have sheer jealousy over how many free and unmasked people there are walking around almost more than not being able to be there for the show... It must be nice to live somewhere without a tin pot dicktater trying to control everything...

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Shepherdsville. I had stayed at the Gold Vault for the last 10 or so Criks I have attended since 2000. Very nice hotel although the rooms were $200 a night for two queen-size beds. The breakfast was good and they didn't mind a bunch of us drunk ass machine gunners sitting out on their front porch drinking whiskey and beer till all hours of the morning. The nearby restaurants including a Cattleman's, a fish place and a Mexican place were all excellent. I found an inexpensive Blanton's (compared to FL) and got to try my first (and most likely) only Pappy Van Winkle at $81 a shot. I was with Charlie Logan's Posse (Arms and Ordnance) and we had about a dozen people in our group. Coming from Shepherdsville we only had a half-hour wait or so on the road to get in Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I met a bunch of people who I have been dealing with buying selling and trading online (shout out to Aaron Demko at BELTFEDs.com) and over the phone for years for the first time face to face. Saw dozens of people from Florida shows and shoots. I sold a bunch of stuff there that I have not been able to move online or at local gun shows. I bought a lot of things on my own and and other people's shopping lists. I did manage to pick up a couple of Stoners (and put them right back in the display case right after getting photographed with them). Made some good contacts for future business endeavors. I had more fun at this Creek than any other in the past 21 years. Those who couldn't make it because of illness, etc, I hope you feel better soon and maybe we'll see you at a local show or shoot or at SAR West in December.

20211008_114718.jpg

20211011_153527.jpg

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

62234EF3-1567-4A04-B782-C5B01FA8F22E.jpeg 69C02F74-CC7F-43F1-B25F-1F751EE3F29D.jpeg 2B368D2C-CFDB-4E04-AB6A-473F3194EC16.jpeg 689DC36A-CB24-48AC-8572-4BBCD649F307.jpeg A9D35580-E285-4CE0-B639-34017263C97D.jpeg 215EB3FE-E084-40A7-BB2B-38156AF38F19.jpeg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I have sheer jealousy over how many free and unmasked people there are walking around almost more than not being able to be there for the show... It must be nice to live somewhere without a tin pot dicktater trying to control everything...

Heard this on the radio today

"Why do they need to protect the protected from the unprotected by forcing the unprotected to take the protection that didn't protect the protected from the unprotected in the first place."

Edited by ppgcowboy
  • Upvote 1

APEX has just published our last Knob Creek VLOG:

Enjoy!

Richard

Coming this Fall from APEX Pictures: "Smooth jazz vs. Automatic weapons fire" Rated "M" for "Music to my ears". :D

Full auto fire was almost in sync with the jazz trio! Kind of like a Chick Corea (RIP) off-beat-on-purpose thing. Thanks Rickard; nicely done!