Tommy Gun in Vietnam

Hello everyone! Recently I came across an interesting "modification" Thompson M1A1 with a CAR-15 stock. After a little understanding, I found out that American soldiers in Vietnam often used their TSMGs with modified stock or without it at all. Weapon recoil must have been a secondary factor in jungle battles. I have attached some photos of this.

PS: Captain Dale Dye, USMC, mentioned that he saw quite a number of M1A1 Thompson SMGs in Vietnam. “Many of the advisors to the Vietnamese took the opportunity to acquire and carry Thompsons in my observation. It was also a favorite of the guys working the USN Market Time ops off-shore as I recall. Very often I saw Thompsons modified with the stocks removed, although I never understood why beyond the cool factor." B)

the same, LRRP with Thompson M1A1 modified with a CAR-15 stock.

E-1V64fxboo.jpg?size=776x688&quality=95&

and some other photos

UQuTvVX-U-U.jpg?size=500x343&quality=95&

vKY8H2ptEnY.jpg?size=447x535&quality=95&

4IniGU_G7Ms.jpg?size=418x525&quality=95&

d5yseST2Wmo.jpg?size=500x345&quality=95&

JX8XgWm1VZE.jpg?size=606x449&quality=95&

toiyKbkrLa0.jpg?size=480x634&quality=95&

Edited by allweaponsww2

From an early time in Indo China, Foreign legionnaires from the 1st Foreign Legion Cavalry Regt. (1ere REC), in 1947.

1er REC Indochina.jpg

This was a period when the French forces were using any weapons, they could lay their hands on, as this photo shows, another legion regiment, this one in the Algerian Sahara in the 1950's, armed with MP40's

Saharan company wth MP40's.jpg

And another from Indo China, and the fateful battle of Dien Ben Phu in 1953. Commanding officer of the 4th Company, 1st Legion Para Battalion, (1ere BEP), Captain Bernard Cabiro, armed with a luger.

Cne Bernard Cabiro Dien Bien Phu Dec 53 4 Coy 1BEP..JPG

Stay safe

Richard

• Upvote 1

No CAR stock, Part of his sling system wrapped around the backend of the receiver just in front of rear sight to keep it from slipping off. Interesting indeed. no stock... obviously weapon is used in extreme close range scenarios. Thompson = Automatic Meat Axe

No CAR stock, Part of his sling system wrapped around the backend of the receiver just in front of rear sight to keep it from slipping off. Interesting indeed. no stock... obviously weapon is used in extreme close range scenarios. Thompson = Automatic Meat Axe

thirtyround,

Good call, that is exactly right. You can see the beginning of the protected rear sight under his arm.