Well I Finally Took The Plunge Too...m3a1

Well I bought a transferable Medea M3A1 last Monday with an AWC suppressor. Problem is, no original barrel but I did manage to buy at least a beater barrel off Gun Auctions for $46. (Did I beat one of you out of it?)

My questions?

How are the barrels attached to the barrel nuts? Press fit? Does anyone make new barrels if you have a barrel nut already? Seems like barrels are getting rare, where did all the parts kits go? (Valkrey?) I was considering buying a post M3A1 and cutting it up for the barrel and parts but I hate to remove even posties from the market.

What spares should I be getting?

I really hate the look of the flash hider, is there any reason to buy one except for collectability?

What ammo do you guys like to shoot in your GG. I have found Wolf 230 FMJ for $139 per 1000 but I wonder if I should be shooting it in this gun and will it cycle the GG reliably? (I like the idea of using my link magnet for cleanup)

I know there is a mag loader mounted on the butt stock and another GI issue one seperately, is there any better ones out there?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Welcome .

I'm not familiar with Medea guns . I've heard them mentioned on the forums , but that's it . It's a tube gun ? Parts turn up somewhat regularly . Hang in there and you'll find them .

Other than magazines , I wouldn't worry too much about loading up on spare parts . Maybe some of the several springs utilized ? The GG is pretty rugged . imo

I have fired 500-600 rds of Wolf in my M3 without trouble . They're not too particular . Mine feeds just about anything including my reloads . Recommend you do a search in the Thompson forum for more replies on Wolf . Some like it , some not . Your call .

I loaded mags by hand for a short while . It was slower , but not too difficult . Later , I picked up one of the GI hand held units . It definately speeds things up .

Maybe you can post a pick later ?

The Medea guns were assembled from never assembled stampings from Ithaca so they are essentually identical to "real" M3A1 GG. Quality can vary alot since Medea did not weld them, they just registered them.

Mongo,

My dealer is Medea Corp. Look at the shape of the pistol grip pattern and you will notice on the Medea Guns, the rear of the checkering is higher, where on the Ithaca Guns and Guidelamps, the front of the grip checkering is higher. Also the upper back of the receiver on the Medea Guns are rounded where the Ithaca and Guidelamp guns are almost squared off.

I know this has been a topic of heated debate on Subguns, but my dealer said the guns were made in the early 80's and are not left over Ithaca shells. I wasn't there, but I will take his word on it.

Quality does vary, based on the skill of the person who did the welding. I waited 2 1/2 years before I found a welder I would trust to finish the job. HTH.

As for mag loader I use the Mac 10 loader. Spares: barrel assembly,mags and maybe a spare bolt.

Thanks for the explanation .

Have you shot it yet Mongo ? I let my uncle's teenage grandson run a hundred rds of pmc through mine this morning . He had a grin a mile wide . http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

QUOTE (guy sajer @ Mar 31 2006, 10:26 PM)
Thanks for the explanation .

Have you shot it yet Mongo ? I let my uncle's teenage grandson run a hundred rds of pmc through mine this morning . He had a grin a mile wide . http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nope, have not gotten it yet, waiting on the transfer to my dealer.

Spare parts you ought to consider include a couple driving springs, the guide rod clip (easy to loose), stock catch (can wear out), barrell ratchet and definitely an extractor or 2. All of these parts are realitively inexpensive and not hard to find. I wouldn't worry about the bolt...can't see how they would wear out. G.G. is pretty indistructable.

Medea gun is OK as long as there is no function problem. I have an M3 Guide Lamp, and it is not exactly a finely finished gun.

You'll love the G.G.

QUOTE (Johnny.45 @ Apr 4 2006, 01:57 PM)
Mongo,

Is your Medea M3A1 the one from Recon Ordnance?
Looked like a very nice gun/deal.
Enjoy your G.G.

Take Care,

Johnny

Yup, I've been wanting one for a long time and saw the price and thought I'd get it. I then proceeded to talk myself out of it. Luckily one of my friends said I was an idiot if I did not buy the gun so I did. It was either that or a Ppsh 41 but there seems to be a lot of Ppsh 41s for sale lately but not many M3A1s (yes I wanted the A1 not a M3). Historical/ C&R doesn't matter a lot to me (I'm a shooter not a collector) so a Medea gun was a good way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...