'28 Actuator Slot

Question for all you '28 Thompson owners- is the edge of the actuator slot on your gun sharp edged or rounded off? Would a rounded off edge indicate a sandblast/refinish, or was this something seen on '28's with their original finishes as well? An example of what I'm talking about when I say rounded edge can be seen in the pics of the NAC Thompson on the Armament Services web site. The top view showing the bullet logo also shows the back end of the actuator slot- the edges are not sharply defined like a Colt Thompson's actuator slot.

thanks all-

Arthur,

Thanks for the response- I was actually asking about the edge of the slot itself all the way around, not the front edge. Should this edge be sharply defined in an original finish gun or were there also military '28's with actuator slot edges that were more contoured like the Arm. Serv. NAC Thompson (Look at the rear circular cutout at the back of the slot on the top view-example of a contoured edge-)

thanks-

I have not seen the photo in question but can say that the GI prints call for a .075 radius inside and out on the actuator slot. Examples of guns from this period have this feature machined into them. WH guns usually have a 45 degree chamfer on the outside only. Colt guns may have the edge broken slightly in polishing.

As in all things, exceptions will be found.

Endiana,

My 1928A1 has uniformly rounded edges to the actuator slot that appear to be machined that way,rather than due to wear.The rounding is both on the inside and outside surfaces of the slot.

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif