Which Thompson for a first time buyer?

Let me preface this that i know the more popular answer from people on this question. So please explain reasons so i can make a better decision

So Ive been working with a dealer to get a Thompson. He has 2 options for me that are basically the same price point. One is a new in box west Hurley Thompson that has been reworked by Dan Block to accept GI mags. The other is a late war GI M1 Thompson. Looks like it had an armory refinish and a. New barrel as weIt also has a fore grip reinforcing band which i haven't seen before. Given the cost is about the same 1k difference, what would be the better option? Ive always wanted an M1A1, and now that my wife gave the go ahead its been tough to go for an M1 instead. I do understand that the differences are minimal and some would argue that an M1 is better due to out of battery issues.

Edited by Smnagao

I would recommend the WWII M1. You can eventually track down an M1A1 bolt if thats what you prefer, and it will hold its value better in the long run. I am also biased toward guns actually made to win the war.

FWIW

USGI M1 all the way. Has history, your weapon might have been in actual combat and meets all the GI specs and tolerances since it is not reproduction. Not knocking folks who own a WH, but from all the posts, they can be off spec and GI parts are recommended. WH are also commercial and not USGI.

Also look at resale. Which weapon do you think most folks would purchase in a open market.

This is a no brainer to me but it is your money and your taste. History might not mean that much to you and just want a shooter. But even at that, the WH might need work and could cost more in the long term.

Edited by NFA amnesty

What are the actual prices? As Huggy stated above, seems to me, either the GI M1 is under priced or the WH is over priced. That said M1, GI all the way. BTW, is the WH a 28 or an M1?

Your not saying what you want out of owning a Thompson. If you want something with a more of a historical significance get the M1, BUT you won't be able to shoot 50 or 100 rd drums with it. If you are more of a shooter, I would go with the PK'd WH gun, it should run like a sewing machine. If your looking for a safe queen, get a Colt. And don't look at this purchase as an investment, up till now Title 2 guns have been a good investment because of the limited supply and increased interest in them, but that's not to say the future will be the same. Whatever you buy just make sure that you can afford it, even when times get tough, (and they are about to).

Do NOT spend $25k on a WH!! The current market value is $15,500 to $16,500!

There is zero historic value to a WH, other than they were the last to manufacture (poorly) a FA Thompson.

Find a nice 1928A1 for around $20k and enjoy it!

As a rule, USGI Thompson guns, all models, are a better investment and product than anything sold by Auto-Ordnance Corporation, West Hurley, New York. While new in the box (NIB) is a great condition for most firearms, not so with a West Hurley full auto Thompson guns. If it has never been fired, there is no way to know if it runs properly. West Hurley Thompson guns are notorious for having problem, even the M1 models. Remember, the West Hurley full-auto Thompson guns were manufactured to compete at the low end of the Thompson market - first suggested retail price was around $425. The current pricing for a West Hurley Thompson is only a reflection of the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record being closed in 1986 to new machine guns. That said, the condition of the USGI M1 Thompson you are considering purchasing is also very important. You mention the M1 Thompson has been refinished. I have seen some awful ugly civilian parkerized USGI Thompson guns. I also would worry about about a welded receiver but this is easy to check if you can field strip the Thompson. Any Thompson is a big purchase. I highly recommend Frank Iannamico's American Thunder III for those new to the Thompson community considering the purchase of a USGI Thompson gun. Frank provides a wealth of information about the military models with color pictures showcasing what original finish guns should look like. Make sure you know what you are purchasing. If your like most of us, you are only going to buy one. Make it the best you can find and afford.

You may want to post some pictures of this M1. There are some very knowledgeable members on this forum that will be be glad to offer opinions.

Good luck!

Go history and remember when the 25 g is spent its gone. Forget about it. There is some crap hitting d.c.that some are in for a money hit.so just buy and enjoy whatever future might bring who cares. Because its going to happen no matter what.never look at class 3 as retirement.{They are on loan from the gov.} to us.

it has a paper attached.Enjoy the Thompson....RON K.

post-504-0-27372100-1620071294_thumb.jpg

If Dan Block inspected and most likely test fired it, you are good to go. Dan knows his Thompson guns. Be advised, that finish is far from original. But refinished former USGI military Thompson guns are commonplace.