Two Federal Gas Billy Clubs

David. They are basically the same size. The brass one has a body about 1/2 inch shorter and has a longer cocking piece.

How do I determine gauge?

These are the first of these I've seen.

I'm fairly certain they are 12 gauge, which is standard. I was thinking there was a possibility that one of them was 10 gauge, but if they are almost the same size, they're going to be 12 gauge.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I unscrewed both barrels from the bases and compared them to a 12 gauge shell. The interior is significantly larger. So I guess 10 gauge?

Any thought on what I have and value?

Attached are several photos of the dark Billy, made of brass. Comments on history and value would be greatly appreciated.

Attached are several photos of the dark Billy, made of brass. Comments on history and value would be greatly appreciated.

post-595-0-14728100-1492350623_thumb.jpeg

post-595-0-34304400-1492350634_thumb.jpeg

post-595-0-85740700-1492350645_thumb.jpeg

post-595-0-81688600-1492350656_thumb.jpeg

Edited by snipershot1944

And here are photos of the alumimium Billy. I don't see a spot for a battery in either. Both appear to be striker fired. Again history and value comments would be appreciated.

post-595-0-76045900-1492350878_thumb.jpeg

post-595-0-78096900-1492350892_thumb.jpeg

OK, that seems to confirm 10 gauge. I'm only aware of one other 10 gauge example, which was offered to me locally within the past few years. My understanding is that there was some kind of issue with these back in the day, and they were pulled from Fed Labs inventory, and not sold again. If I recall correctly, there may have been an issue with them being able to shoot 10 gauge shells, and thus had potential issues with ATF. I'm going from memory. The person who has one locally sent me a letter, and talked to me on the phone, and I need to find that letter for further reference. Anyway, while they may be rare, they don't seem to have much value, and are in kind of a grey area with ATF.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Ok. Thanks. Here are pics with 12 ga shells. The barrel tube simply swallows the shell. As to firing it with a 10 ga she'll, there is a cross pin midway down the barrel. If you tried it once, you might acquire a new nickname, "Stumpy".

Both were acquired from the estate of a NYPD Detective.

If anyone is interested in buying them, please get with me via email.

David

post-595-0-27534800-1492390371_thumb.jpeg

post-595-0-39840300-1492390388_thumb.jpeg

post-595-0-47708400-1492390400_thumb.jpeg

OK, that seems to confirm 10 gauge. I'm only aware of one other 10 gauge example, which was offered to me locally within the past few years. My understanding is that there was some kind of issue with these back in the day, and they were pulled from Fed Labs inventory, and not sold again. If I recall correctly, there may have been an issue with them being able to shoot 10 gauge shells, and thus had potential issues with ATF. I'm going from memory. The person who has one locally sent me a letter, and talked to me on the phone, and I need to find that letter for further reference. Anyway, while they may be rare, they don't seem to have much value, and are in kind of a grey area with ATF.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David A,

Do you still have those pics? I was trying to find them but I think it was a text you sent on my old phone and i have lost them. I would like to compare as I believe that billy is different from these. I seem to recall it was longer in length and had a flat base where the striker was positioned so that it actually could fire a 10ga shotgun shell if one was inclined to try it once.

These two look similar to the ones I have. A 12 ga shell will fit into the area where the striker is, but a 10 ga will fit in the barrel. The striker would not be able to ignite a 10 ga shell due to the rebated striker. These used a specific tear gas cartridge.

David,

What is the overall length on both of these? Could you include a photo of the muzzle as well?

Thanks

Ron

Yours is a #M39 blast type. It used #307 and I believe #308 cartridges. It was replaced by the #M49 still 10ga bore but a modified breech that would not fire a standard 10ga round. Very nice example.

Edited by sherman3

i have one of the same ones except my chrome is 90% wore off....

i paid i think $75-100 on this forum for it...neat looking piece sitting on my FP mantle...wife loves it (not)

i tried to find some shells for it and was unable

they are serial #'d mine is #1983 and not nearly as nice looking as your chromed one.....yours looks NIB while mine was most likely played with for 40 years

they made 2 types of shells for them..i think 1 is a long burst and the other is multiple bursts...the hole size at the end will tell you which is which

Edited by huggytree