New To Thompsons

New to this forum and to the Thompson. Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question or an old topic. I purchased a Kahr 27 Commando this past spring and put it away for safe keeping. Got it out not long ago and decided I didn't like the black painted furniture. So I stripped it all off to find a beautifully grained but rather dark and aged looking buttstock, a new looking pistol grip, and a foregrip ( horizontal) whose wood looked much like the buttstock. I also noticed a "P" on the frontend of the forearm, and I thought that's a nice touch to make the gun look period military. Then I noticed two plugged screw holes on the side of the forearm, and I realized that this was genuine military surplus furniture on the butt and forearm. I'd read previously that it was common practice for the Brits to move the forearm sling to the side. My question is does Kahr use surplus furniture on all their Thompsons, or is this just used on the Commando, and the tale tale evidence covered with black paint?

I kinda like the original furniture, but didn't expect it on a new gun. Have really been pleased with the guns performance. Hasn't missed a beat after some 500 rounds using the original and surplus clips.

Your a lucky one. Most of the Kahr guns have oodles of problems. Most don't make it to the 500 rouond mark without something breaking. As far as wood, you got real lucky as somebody at Kahr is probably looking for that now. Most of their wood is new stuff. If you bought it new and it had that on it, I would say hang onto it and clean it up real good and put it on the gun. Last commando gun I saw looked like painted plastic wood not real wood.

FYI: If you click the “edit” button in top right side of your post, you can edit the link instead of creating a new post.

Beeeuuutifullll piece of walnut- I can’t believe anyone would paint that.

Nice looking gun.

I couldn't help but notice what looked like live rounds in your first pic. Can't see the safety levers position but bolt is forward. I kinda like the original FA layout better than the semi. The position of the cocking knob is just like a hammer on a Winchester 97 you can tell if it's read to go or 99% sure it's not at a glance. ( no gun is ever safe, don't point the muzzle at anything you would not wish destroyed even if your 100% sure it's empty)

Maybe I'm not the only one who's kept a 27A1 arround the house loaded for things that go bump in the night.

BB

I wondered if anyone would notice the rounds in the mag. Yep, it's loaded as are all of my firearms. And that's what I taught my kids as they were growing up. They never had to wonder if dad's guns were loaded. They KNEW they were loaded. I keep them that way for two reasons. First, and most important, it's just a club ( which when speaking of a Thompson, isn't a bad club ) when not loaded. And Second, I keep em loaded just because the politically correct crowd thinks I shouldn't. Both of my kids are now grown, and neither have ever accidentally discharged a firearm, much less injured themselves or a friend.

Thanks for the heads up PK. And by the way, if I send you this gun for the cut off, shortened barrel and welded comp treatment, will the parkerized finish be any problem?

And does anybody know if surplus wood is common practice for Kahr on their Commando? Is that why they are painting them black?

Parkerized finish will not be a problem.

A/O Kahr has used a combination of surplus and new production wood. Recently I have been seeing more new production. I got a new 27a1 in the other day and it has FAR superior vertical foregrip than what we have been seeing-not a Colt mind you, but so much better you would really be surprised. Someone at Kahr has been listening to something it would appear.