Which Original Barrels are Harder to Find?

Curious to know which original replacement barrels are tougher to get a hold of, the M3 or the M3A1? I wonder if once they came out with newer barrel with the flats on them that might be all they produced from then on? Here are both of my barrels , first the M3, then the M3A1.

Mike Hammer

m3 bbl 1.jpg

m3 bbl 2.jpg

m3a1 bbl 1.jpg

m3a1 bbl 2.jpg

I would think that the earlier NOS GL barrel assemblies without "flats" would be more.......but you have to consider the original 9mm barrel-assemblies as well. (in used and/or NOS condition.....but not reproductions.).

I am not sure if the Chinese versions of the GreaseGun marked their barrel-assemblies...…...but they may fall into there somewhere in value.

Regards, RichardS

US Army, RET

• 1 month later...

The hardest to find are the Vietnam era Chromium-lined M3A1 barrels.

Now you have got me trying to remember!

When I was stationed at Fort Carson (1979-1980) we had M3 Grease Guns issued.

In Germany (1980-1984) we had the M3A1 issued.

I shot them and cleaned them.

Downrange at Fort Carson I even fired one at infantry targets from the loaders hatch! (Fun time that was!)

I went to the unit Armorer's course and spent time in the unit arms room both in the USA and in Germany.

I spotted chrome lined 1911A1 barrels, but don't ever remember seeing a lined Grease Gun barrel.

We didn't shoot any of the .45 caliber gun's much in Germany due to a shortage of .45 ammo for training.

I do remember a friend burning his hand on a Grease Gun barrel after walking off the range, I still remember that sound followed by his yell in pain.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...