Petro 1,

I was typing up a reply when you posted the info about the dies. I mentioned the same thing in my post above. Thank you for also mentioning that. I'll probably lean in that direction once I completely remove the receiver and properly inspect the tube. Thanks again!

fake stamps seemed to be erbs specialty....every mp40 ive seen had extra Swastika's on them that mine doesnt have. seemed like he couldnt stamp enough of them on some of his builds...or people added them after him...who knows

your selling the gun as a tube gun, so as long as your not saying its a C&R i dont think your misrepresenting it...if its a reweld it may be worth even more than a tube..no one knows the value of your gun as none come up

if you take a pic inside the tube from the angle i sent you of my gun and see no weld id feel comfortable saying its not a reweld..thats exactly where they would hide it

Huggytree,

As Bob mentioned to me, and as I've seen on his (Erb's) MP40 Tubes, the stampings on the front of my receiver in no way resemble the dies that he known for. I'm going to try and properly disassemble the receiver from the magazine housing and see what's there. If my receiver doesn't show any signs of being cut and/or a re-weld, I might gravitate in the direction that the stampings on the front of the receiver were added after the tube was registered and sold. I'll need to do more research if I find that the tube doesn't show any signs of being cut. I'm going to keep the listing up until I can fully inspect the receiver and go from there. I'll take pictures from every angle, including where you mentioned. Thank you!

If its cut , its under the mag well. A few pins and 10 minutes and it comes right apart. Either the weld is there or its not

Putting the mag well back together takes a bit more time lining up the ejector. Taking it apart should not make any marks.

Mine is also cut at the back where it goes into the lower

Look there too

Good luck. Im curious to see what it sells for. Ive heard asking prices for c&r MP38s. Its a beautiful gun

Edited by huggytree

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see no reason to de-list it from GB. It's got 10 more days to go in the auction, so there's plenty of time to add information in the interest of full disclosure if that becomes necessary based on any new information. If that became necessary, you simply don't hold any bidders responsible up until that point in time when any new information is offered that could sway the buyer. I see that on occasion on GB. Again, a nice looking gun. Robert

Erb MP-38.... did he build any? .... Where to find one? Oh, look.... right under me nose. :)

Guess I can officially claim to be old - was mildly shocked people did not know Erb built tubes.

Very nice.

I was able to remove the ejector and the mag well to inspect the receiver. No signs of any cuts or welding. Just a partial line in the blue finish where the edge of the mag well straps wrapped around the tube. The inside of the tube shows no signs of cutting or welding. I'll update / add the new pictures to my GB listing later tonight or tomorrow. More concerned right now with trying to get the ejector to go back into its hole.

It came out easily enough, but getting it back in is another issue. It's the original (matching) ejector and I'd hate to break or damage it. Could someone tell me the trick to getting it back into the hole. It goes in a tiny bit, but then it stops. This is the first time I ever removed it or the mag well. Got the mag well pinned in, but not the ejector. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I remember it being hard too. Maybe start with the ejector pin and do the other one 2nd

Congrats on what you have found.

Gonna be a intersting auction.

Ive not seen one come up for sale. And mp40s are doing well through this price slump. A mp38 should do well

Erb MP-38.... did he build any? .... Where to find one? Oh, look.... right under me nose. :)

Guess I can officially claim to be old - was mildly shocked people did not know Erb built tubes.

Nice LR! I've seen lots of Erb MP40 tube guns but don't recall seeing an Erb MP38 tube gun.

A good gauge to me would be the percentage price difference between a C&R MP40 and a tube MP40 with some premium for scarcity/rarity of the MP38; however, the market of course will determine. I'm not sure I'd buy a tube gun, even if it was a MP38, over an original C&R MP40 if it was over $22K or so. However, the way the current auction is going it may be surprising.

Well if a tube MP-38 brings 20 grand today,Does it make a original MP38 forty grand.Guess you will have to ask the interested buyers that one.My original sold way back in 1980 for $5,000.00 when nobody was looking for them or knew what the heck they were.It was the time of $2,000.00 MP-40'S And there was no big demand for tubes.

I wished the seller some luck on his sale.was offered a pair of them well over ten years ago for $20,000.00, The times of High Adventure.everybody have a good year. Ron

only takes a couple of millionaires who want that mp38 to drive the price past logic...good for the seller

a couple of months ago there was a craze on mac 10 suppressors(they would give these away for free often) For about a month they sold for $1500!!!..last one i saw was $250(back down to being in reaon)...just depends on who wants an item at a particular time..with a rare item like a mp38 your gonna get some dumb bidding i predict.

if it get really stupid ill bet you see another for sale real soon

Edited by huggytree

While not directly related to the MP-38, the link below is the transcript of Charles Erbs testimony in a court case. The case appears to relate to a STEN and questioning if it was actually made by Mr. Erb.

I believe it may be of interest for two reasons, first he testifies in some detail about his manufacturing processes for both the STEN and MP-40. Second, the nature of the case is the type of thing that leads people to question the origin of transferable guns.

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/friesen-volume4.pdf

Having seen the quality of Mr. Erbs work, I dont doubt he had the skill to make an MP-38 tube that 40 years later people would have a hard time distinguishing from an original.

-wwiifirearms

While not directly related to the MP-38, the link below is the transcript of Charles Erbs testimony in a court case. The case appears to relate to a STEN and questioning if it was actually made by Mr. Erb.

I believe it may be of interest for two reasons, first he testifies in some detail about his manufacturing processes for both the STEN and MP-40. Second, the nature of the case is the type of thing that leads people to question the origin of transferable guns.

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/friesen-volume4.pdf

Having seen the quality of Mr. Erbs work, I dont doubt he had the skill to make an MP-38 tube that 40 years later people would have a hard time distinguishing from an original.

-wwiifirearms

Thanks for sharing, made for some very interesting reading.

Worth whatever somebody will pay.To some in 10 or 20 years most won't care,They will be getting flowers put on the spot.AT last gun show average age is hitting well over 60 now. Don't be fooled it is a dying sport.So enjoy what you have now.Who cares what somebody will or won't pay or what collector value it might have.We all have a story to tell and normally at around 90% or better.

Most don't care.

We always did because it was the history thing.Today is lost welcome to the future.I am waiting for the call from a buds girlfriend who had 300 plus guns in inventory, She will say what am i going to do with all this shite.ha ha.. I am only keeping his five cars in the garage. everybody have a good week. Ron

The seller's description is correct and complete in all respects. Too many of you guys impugned something you knew little about and had no intention of ever bidding on. Shame on you.

• Upvote 1

Yes it happens on all forums.That is why retirement is a good thing, and to stay out of all the battles and tales.

And hope he does get his 20 grand. he explained it enough. Now i have a German deal to tend to.And other fun Ron