Disassembly Help (1928)

Hi,

I am disassembling my 1928 Savage thompson and ran into a glitch.

i pushed the latch button and got the frame slid about half way off and then it caught on something. it would not slide anymore off. i couldn't figure out what i needed to do to get the frame to slide completely off.

so i slid the frame back on. i then proceeded to try it again with no success. as i was sliding the frame back together, something caught, HARD! the frame is about halfway slided on and stuck. i can move the safety, but the selector switch is stuck tight on single and it does not budge at all.

any ideas as to what i need to do, to either get the frame to slid all the way on or off? i can't seem to get the frame unstuck from its cuurent position.

i hesitate putting a lot of pressure on the frame.

thanks

Craig

Craig101,

That is your problem. The selector switch on a Thompson MUST be set on full auto to remove the grip frame. Don't try to force it off while the selector is on single. Try to get it back into the original position and then move the rocker pivot to full auto. Squeeze the trigger while removing the grip frame and it should come right off.

Trying to remove it while it is in the single position will damage the rocker and the bottom of the bolt. If it wont budge you will have to remove the pivot plate and try to remove the safety and rocker pivot. Make sure you get a manual that shows the parts in the grip frame so you can reassemble it properly.

Good luck.

Craig101: Gently try to rock the trigger frame a little and see if you can get the selector to go to full auto. If you can it should slide back a short distance and then hold the trigger back while sliding the trigger group off. If you can't get it to come apart you will need to do it the hard way and it would be helpful if you had a tool that wouldn't mark up the gun when you spread the fingers on the pivot plate. Glenn Whittenberg (of this board) sells the tool as may some of the others.

I agree that you are hung up on your rocker.

You need to get the frame back forward on the receiver. Tap the back of the frame with something non-marring and it should pop free and move forward. Once this is accomplished, move the pivot to FA and remove as instructed.

If you can not get the frame to move forward, I suggest you do not remove the pivot plate. Spring the leaf that tensions the pivot and push the pivot out, this will release the rocker and allow the gun to come apart. You may need to use a small hammer and a drift to get the pivot out.

Let us know how you fare.

i got it apart. i put the back of the receiver on my wooden table and put some weight into the frame and it came unjammed. i was then able to switch it to auto and pull the trigger and the frame came right off. i don't see any damage. was just a mite tight.

cleaned her up real nice.

thanks guys!