How do I do this transfer?

Mike Hammer

Looking for some knowledge help here on a MG transfer that I want to do the easiest way

The gun is a Thompson SMG, (C&R) owned by an private individual in Fla. who has no FFL. The gun is in his name on a form 4.

I am in Louisiana and I have a C&R license. The question is what would be the least expensive way to transfer this AND what would be the quickest way to make the transfer?

Since the gun is on a Form 4, can he transfer this directly to me in one transfer as I am a FFL holder?

Or because he is out of state must he transfer it to a dealer in his state first and then the dealer sending it to me on a second transfer?

I don't do many transactions anymore and I am not certain what the acceptable method would be. Really appreciate those more knowledgeable to chime in here.

Thanks!

Mike

As others have noted, a direct transfer to you as a C&R holder is the least expensive way to transfer to you (one transfer tax). As a C&R holder, I've bought several C&R SMGs from individuals out-of-state.

On the other hand, I sometimes like to get the gun close to me quickly, and the seller could transfer the gun directly to a SOT dealer near you in your state (which would cost a $200 tax stamp and is typically a quicker transfer) and the SOT could then transfer it directly to you (another $200 tax stamp).

The Lone Ranger is the Board expert on transfers, although I don't recall seeing any recent posts from him but may have missed them.

Still here, Mr. H but not much recently. Had to move to a warmer locale. I would do direct to the collector FFL. Sometimes you run into people that insist a dealer needs to be in the middle but it's rubbish.

OK, good. Mouseville. Hum. WDW maybe. In any event, good to see you're still around. It's been beautiful in my area of Florida the last week or so.