M3a1

• 1 year later...
Hi i am kind of new into greasers and i wonder how many m3a1 s where made by guide lamp?.

In 1945 only, 15,469.

source US Submachineguns --page 202, by Frank Iannamico. 2004

Jim C

Edited by jim c 351

From Frank Iannamico grease gun book , pg55 :

1943 85,130 M3

1944 343,372 M3

1945 178,192 M3

1945 15,469 M3A1

Total , 606,694 M3 and 15,469 M3A1 for a grand total of 622,163

On pg 89 :

1955-56 33,227 Ithaca M3A1

Chris

Edited by emmagee1917

1943 85,130 M3

1944 343,372 M3

1945 178,192 M3

1945 15,469 M3A1

On pg 89 :

Chris

Chris,

Frank I wrote both of our books. Your reference was written in 1999. My reference was written in 2004. Which one should we go by?

Jim C

Good idea. I do not have the new book. Does the new book state that the old book was wrong or does it list new info sources ? How do the M3 and Ithaca figures match ?

There are misprints in all books , just because it's set in type does not make it set in stone. This may be a case of " a man with a watch knows what time it is .... a man with two can never be quite sure. "

Does Frank I. participate on this board ?

Chris

• 2 months later...
Hi i am kind of new into greasers and i wonder how many m3a1 s where made by guide lamp?.

In 1945 only, 15,469.

source US Submachineguns --page 202, by Frank Iannamico. 2004

Jim C

Hi Jim!

Check out P.146 of Frank's book "U.S.Submachine Gun M3-M3A1"

Only 15,469 GuideLamp M3A1's were produced in 1945, during their one year of production according to Frank. This is where I pulled my figure from.

Tom B.

BD , that's the same source I used which was printed in '99 . Jim is quoting a 2004 source from the same writter claiming twice as many M1A1s by Guidelamp in '45 than the total production listed in the '99 book. We are still awaiting conformation as to which is correct , if either of course.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Well , two thoughts come to mind . First , they may not have started at # 00001 . Second , they had a lot of problems welding the two halves together at the begining . Lot of them were scraped at this point. Was this step before or after the serial number was applied ? If after , did they then reuse the scraped numbers ?

Then , of course , thirdly , there might have been that many made.

Chris

No JIm , it means the carbines were made by 10 companies who had thier own serial number blocks , some had several blocks. Those that had several blocks assigned did not use them in order all the time and/or switched between blocks at thier whim. Not all the numbers in the blocks were used and some were rejected after being stamped. Ergo , a lot more numbers out there than carbines that used them.

This may be the case here. It would not be unreasonable for the info to be stamped into the mag well while it was basicly a stamped flat , before being welded into a reciever. I have no idea at what number they started at , nor how many , if any numbers , were lost trying to perfect the welding , nor if all numbers were used and in order. All these are factors to be considered in the other small arms produced by the USA in this time period , so we cannot dismiss them out of hand here. We are dealing with one manufacturer here , but if they numbered like Underwood did , it could still be a mess.

Chris

• 1 year later...

My Medea shot way high and to the right. You remember the old police man sized targets of olden times ? At 25 yds I had to aim a tad below the right ( it's right) hip to hit the center. This was decades ago before they were as expensive as they are now . Had a motorcycle repair shop with a master welder and one of the then new fangled mig or tig welders. We ground off the front sight ( not a good idea as that then left a hole in the top....duhhhh ) and then welded a front sight off of a Ruger Blackhawk ( base covered the hole ) slightly off center to fix the windage. Took her out to file to sight in , did not have to touch the sight. It was , and is , dead on. I've had it for over 25 years and I don't recall a single jam , misfeed , FTF or FTE in all these years .

It might have been a stupid thing to do , but I find I only shoot accurate guns . If I can't hit with it , I don't like it . I love the Medea.

I would shoot it before buying . If it's sighted in for you and functions , it'll prob'ly last a long while.

Chris

I have 3 barrels for my M3. At 25 yds one barrel shoots 5 inches high, one shoots 3 inches left and 2 inches high, the third shoot dead on. So if I need to hit a 100 yd target I can use barrel no one , but for all other shooting I use barrel no 3.

If anyone has an M3 that shoot off, never pass up a chance to try another barrel.

Jim C

Devil,

Quite frequenly the repro barrels are installed in an original hub. The hub contains the maker and proof mark. So unless your a real expert you could buy the $500.00 barrel and get a repro barrel in a WW2 hub.

As far as price is concerned, there are good deals and bad deals. The more patient you are the better the odds of getting a good deal. The ranges are what emmagee has listed. You can always do a WTB on subguns and Strum an see what happens.

Jim C

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (emmagee1917 @ May 9 2011, 01:44 PM)

1943 85,130 M3

1944 343,372 M3

1945 178,192 M3

1945 15,469 M3A1

On pg 89 :

Chris

Chris,

Frank I wrote both of our books. Your reference was written in 1999. My reference was written in 2004. Which one should we go by?

Jim C

That 15 k number was a misprint in the official Ordnance Department's "Record of Sustantial Purchases" log book, the number was intended for the items in a line above or below M3A1 submachine guns, I don't recall which. I started to suspect that the 15k number was incorrect when I examined a large number of M3A1 guns with serial numbers that spanned far more than 15k apart.

I went back to the National Archives II in MD and started looking. After several visits I found the answer in the Cincinnati Ordnance District records: the TRUE production numbers. The corrected numbers were used in the USA Submachine Gun Book published in 2004. I always try to include an addendum sheet with the correct figures with the 1999 M3-M3A1 books I sell on my website.

The 82,281 production figure is correct for the M3A1

I think the production numbers are listed by month in the USA SMG book.

From a reply I posted below...

This is in regard to the 15k number published in my 1999 M3 book...

That 15 k number was a misprint in the official Ordnance Department's "Record of Sustantial Purchases" log book, the number was intended for the items in a line above or below M3A1 submachine guns, I don't recall which. I started to suspect that the 15k number was incorrect when I examined a large number of M3A1 guns with serial numbers that spanned far more than 15k apart.

I went back to the National Archives II in MD and started looking. After several visits I found the answer in the Cincinnati Ordnance District records: the TRUE production numbers. The corrected numbers were used in the USA Submachine Gun Book published in 2004. I always try to include an addendum sheet with the correct figures with the 1999 M3-M3A1 books I sell on my website.

The 82,281 production figure is correct for the M3A1

I think the production numbers are listed by month in the USA SMG book.