New Grease Gun Owner

Hello M3 People,

ALtho I like to think of myself as a Thompson gunner I have recently taken steps to enter the elite world of Grease Gun shooters.

One month ago a purchased a Guide Lamp M3 ser. # 187804 . The ATF Form 4 still at ATF. My reasons for buying it are several. Its easy to carry, rugged, and dependable. Its all that a person could want in a weapon of this type. It fires 400 rpm and in a tight spot thats better than an extra right arm.

All B.S. aside it gives me all 4 of the U.S. 45 cal SMG's used in the Big One.

I haven't fired a grease Gun since 1965 , when I was overseas with the US Army. So its going to be a new experience.

The class 3 dealer allowed me to shoot 15 shots at 25& 50 yds, single shot from the bench to check sight alignment. I was very pleased with the results. At 50 yds it put 5 shots inside of 3 inches , 6.5'" high and 1" to right. At 25 yds it grouped about 3" high. I was using 230gr lead & 6 gr of Unique. I couldn't have been more pleased. It should be just fine for steel plate shooting.

Now comes the part where I would like your undivided attention.

My M3 has a -U- shaped steel rod welded above and below the mag catch. I would like to post pictures but I can"t make any promises. I've heard 2 stories about this mag protector.

1.It was done by the Britts.

2. It was done by US Ord. field depots in France to stop the magazine ffrom falling out when carrying and firing.

Can any of you confirm either of these stories.

There is a M3 for sale on Sturm, right now. Check out about 9/17/07. this gun is ser.# 186598. This M3 has a pin welded above and below the mag catch in the exact location as my M3. if I cut the top off my -U- shaped rod it would look exactly like this gun. The two guns are 1206 numbers apart and were either done by the same weldor or two weldors using the same jig.

I would like to hear from anyone who has information about this field modification.

Thanks,

Jim C

I remember seeing an M3 GreaseGun for sale like that a few months ago.

I believe that the seller stated that it was a "Lend-Lease" gun....so check the barrel and front/top-side of receiver for "British" markings.

Regards, RichardS in MI.

Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net

Hello M3 People,

ALtho I like to think of myself as a Thompson gunner I have recently taken steps to enter the elite world of Grease Gun shooters.

One month ago a purchased a Guide Lamp M3 ser. # 187804 . The ATF Form 4 still at ATF. My reasons for buying it are several. Its easy to carry, rugged, and dependable. Its all that a person could want in a weapon of this type. It fires 400 rpm and in a tight spot thats better than an extra right arm.

All B.S. aside it gives me all 4 of the U.S. 45 cal SMG's used in the Big One.

I haven't fired a grease Gun since 1965 , when I was overseas with the US Army. So its going to be a new experience.

The class 3 dealer allowed me to shoot 15 shots at 25& 50 yds, single shot from the bench to check sight alignment. I was very pleased with the results. At 50 yds it put 5 shots inside of 3 inches , 6.5'" high and 1" to right. At 25 yds it grouped about 3" high. I was using 230gr lead & 6 gr of Unique. I couldn't have been more pleased. It should be just fine for steel plate shooting.

Now comes the part where I would like your undivided attention.

My M3 has a -U- shaped steel rod welded above and below the mag catch. I would like to post pictures but I can"t make any promises. I've heard 2 stories about this mag protector.

1.It was done by the Britts.

2. It was done by US Ord. field depots in France to stop the magazine ffrom falling out when carrying and firing.

Can any of you confirm either of these stories.

There is a M3 for sale on Sturm, right now. Check out about 9/17/07. this gun is ser.# 186598. This M3 has a pin welded above and below the mag catch in the exact location as my M3. if I cut the top off my -U- shaped rod it would look exactly like this gun. The two guns are 1206 numbers apart and were either done by the same weldor or two weldors using the same jig.

I would like to hear from anyone who has information about this field modification.

Thanks,

Jim C

My new grease gun is a few thousand less that the ones you mention and it has what could be the remnants of a pin-setup such as is shown in the picture. It has two welds just above and below the mag release and I have been wondering what they were there for. They don't seem to serve any function.

I'll have to go back and have another look, but if there were pins cut off it later was a close job since I don't remember anything sticking out.

I have not noticed any British markings.

Joel

My new grease gun is a few thousand less that the ones you mention and it has what could be the remnants of a pin-setup such as is shown in the picture. It has two welds just above and below the mag release and I have been wondering what they were there for. They don't seem to serve any function.

I'll have to go back and have another look, but if there were pins cut off it later was a close job since I don't remember anything sticking out.

I have not noticed any British markings.

Joel

Joel,

Thanks for responding. If you can post a picture of the mag catch area and care to give full or partial ser. no. this may prove interesting. Was your M3 painted black or refinished.

When I bought my M3 , about 1 month ago ,I mailed a picture to Frank I. Frank said he had never seen this modifcation.

So Now we know of 3,all within a few thousand numbers.

If you would care to tell any more of your M3 experience , fire away.

I hope i can figure out how to post picture in near future.

Thanks again,

Jim C

Jim C Welcome to the board.

It's easy to post photos here once you get the hang of it,

there's a link here on the "Thompson Board" (check in the upper ares) to free "Photobucket."

Once you sign up you can dump your photos there, then dump them here.

I think that's what the majority of members do.

Regards, Bill

M3 Guide Lamp #353266

Can't post pictures - I'm digitally challenged - but the serial number (from memory) is approx. 175000. I plan to check on whether I can see any remnant of a pin or pins, although I think I would have noticed that before, since I have looked closely at the welds, trying to figure out why they are there.

However, I don't know why else someone would put welds there if it wasn't for a setup like the one pictured on Sturmgewehr (and yours). (The welds are relatively crude.)

Mine was/is painted black, is yours also?

I have just gotten mine recently and I have checked it with blanks - for reenacting - but have not tried real ammunition yet. I was able to get a blank-adapted barrel cheap from one of our local reenactors who used to have a grease gun.

Aside from liking guns, and especially full-auto guns, in general, I have always wanted a grease gun since my dad, who was in the Armored Infantry in WWII carried one during the war. I was lucky enough to find one locally, and I couldn't resist.

Joel

Can't post pictures - I'm digitally challenged - but the serial number (from memory) is approx. 175000. I plan to check on whether I can see any remnant of a pin or pins, although I think I would have noticed that before, since I have looked closely at the welds, trying to figure out why they are there.

However, I don't know why else someone would put welds there if it wasn't for a setup like the one pictured on Sturmgewehr (and yours). (The welds are relatively crude.)

Mine was/is painted black, is yours also?

I have just gotten mine recently and I have checked it with blanks - for reenacting - but have not tried real ammunition yet. I was able to get a blank-adapted barrel cheap from one of our local reenactors who used to have a grease gun.

Aside from liking guns, and especially full-auto guns, in general, I have always wanted a grease gun since my dad, who was in the Armored Infantry in WWII carried one during the war. I was lucky enough to find one locally, and I couldn't resist.

Joel

Joel,

Yes my M3 is painted black, but I don't remember any Britt proofs. at this point I'm not sure what the significance of the paint is.

Jim C

Jim c 351

I was able to click the link you posted and get the photo.

One trick: when you have the photo at photo bucket you can simply

left click your mouse on the 3rd box down called "IMG CODE"

(you will see it flash "copied".) Then in your post here simply left

click where you want the photo to appear, then right click and from the menu

that appears click on "paste" and it will appear in your post and will automatically

appear to a member who is signed in.

Non signed in members can still click the hyperlink to see it.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/jimc351/DSCN0863.jpg

Probably as easy as posting the link, if not easier.

To do the second and third -- simply hit the "IMG CODE" for those and drop

where you want them, like this:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/jimc351/DSCN0866.jpg

Good photos-- thanks for sharing.

Regards, Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the tip. I applied your tip to post pictures of the M3 for sale on Sturm at 10/17/07. Looks like the same story as my gun. lets see if it works.

Thanks again,

Jim C

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa194/hzamar/M3%20Grease%20Gun/grease8.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa194/hzamar/M3%20Grease%20Gun/grease10.jpg

Well, the add-on pins and/or mag release guard were once on mine, also. The place where the pins used to be were cut close and apparently filed down, but once I knew what I was looking for, the evidence is clear.

As for British markings, there is a very small (1/16 inch wide, 1/8 inch tall) marking right in front of the bolt cover on the receiver nose that could be a small crown-over-circle.

It's not the most distinct marking I ever saw, but it may well be some sort of British proof mark.

Mine has the M3A1-style magazine-release guard on it.

Joel

I have # 190806 it painted black and has British markings on it..I know it doesn't have pins on it now, but will look closely tonight to see if they may have been there once.

EDITED TO ADD:

I checked last night..it doesn't and never has had these pins welded on.

Edited by ODS9091

• 4 weeks later...
http://i9.tinypic.com/6pu5vlj.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/7xb8h3n.jpghttp://i9.tinypic.com/6ku7ng6.jpgI had one like that too. I was told it served as a mag release button guard.

http://i9.tinypic.com/6pu5vlj.jpghttp://i7.tinypic.com/7xb8h3n.jpghttp://i9.tinypic.com/6ku7ng6.jpgI had one like that too. I was told it served as a mag release button guard.

jim,

Thanks for responding. Apparently you no longer own the M3. Do you happen to remember the serial no. It looks like 186x47 but I can't be sure. Do you remember if it had any British proofs? Its painted black , right?

This makes the 6th M3 altered in this manner,that I've found, since I bought my M3 in Sept. I think 4 of them had British marks. My M3 is painted black , but I didn' t notice any Brit proofs. Hope to get the form 4 back soon so i can have another look. I'm begining to think this mag guard alteration was a British job.

Thanks again,

Jim C

Thanks for responding. Apparently you no longer own the M3. Do you happen to remember the serial no. It looks like 186x47 but I can't be sure. Do you remember if it had any British proofs? Its painted black , right?

This makes the 6th M3 altered in this manner,that I've found, since I bought my M3 in Sept. I think 4 of them had British marks. My M3 is painted black , but I didn' t notice any Brit proofs. Hope to get the form 4 back soon so i can have another look. I'm begining to think this mag guard alteration was a British job.

Thanks again,

Jim C

I'll have to check my Bound Book, it is fully transferable and I sold it a couple of years ago. Yes, it had british proof marks and it was black painted. I think it was Jerry Prasser of Recon Ordnance that told me M3 Grease Guns that were modified in this way were supposedly purchased by the CIA from a major importer of machine guns back in the 50's and were meant to be used in the Bay of Pigs invasion but for whatever reason weren't. I don't know where the story originated but it's entertaining.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
figured i'd ressurect this thread. just saw one of these the other day when picking up some guns from police property (i know the guy behind the counter so he shows me the neat stuff they find), a straight guide lamp M3 that has the "welded rod" attatchment too. it's british marked and in the 1877xx range (just don't remember the last two numbers really). painted black as all brit guns were.

figured i'd ressurect this thread. just saw one of these the other day when picking up some guns from police property (i know the guy behind the counter so he shows me the neat stuff they find), a straight guide lamp M3 that has the "welded rod" attatchment too. it's british marked and in the 1877xx range (just don't remember the last two numbers really). painted black as all brit guns were.

billie32,

Thanks for remembering. This is the 10th, M3, british marked smg that I have found so far. These guns either still have the guard or have grind marks where the guard once was . Heres a list of the serial numbers.

118,xxx

175,xxx

181,xxx

184,xxx

185,xxx

186,xxx

186,xxx

186,xxx

187,xxx

187,xxx

All early M3 smg's. I still don't understand why the British wanted 45 cal guns in 1944. They should have had plenty of Sten's by then.

Jim C

Local Vet sent one his issued M3s home late in 1944. Vet was with 82nd Air and jumped in the D-Day invasion and again in Holland. He related that he was "Picked' to be issued the new sub, while tooling up in England. His first thoughts were not good but after some use he became enamored with the new sub. Sometime after the initial invasion jump, there was a lull or "catch up" in the battle, that's when they were re-supplied with rations, ammo, replacement for lost or destroyed small arms. The Vet went to the resupply area to get more magaazines (some had been lost) and more ammo (all you could carry)... At one of these re-supply stops he requested more magazines and ammo for his M3. While he was being re-supplied the armorer? requested to inspect his M3 and made a "Quick" installation of a "Clip release button protector" and furnished him two more in a little paper envelope. The M3 serial is a five digit with a two 00 prefix. I still have one of the extra button protectors w/spring. Hope this helps!!! Henry

billie32,

Thanks for remembering. This is the 10th, M3, british marked smg that I have found so far. These guns either still have the guard or have grind marks where the guard once was . Heres a list of the serial numbers.

118,xxx

175,xxx

181,xxx

184,xxx

185,xxx

186,xxx

186,xxx

186,xxx

187,xxx

187,xxx

All early M3 smg's. I still don't understand why the British wanted 45 cal guns in 1944. They should have had plenty of Sten's by then.

Jim C

My Brit stamped 189,xxx never had the guard attached

http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/greasedone.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...