Bad M2 RR

Help! Did not do my due diligence and have a RR SWD conversion on an Iver Johnson. Headspace is huge and receiver was damaged while shooting like this. Quality weld work was done by TSC machine but headspace is my problem now. I need to find someone who specializes in fixing M2's and either have the current IBM barrel turned down and timed and/or any other repairs to get it shooting again. Not interested in any collectors value ad it was an abomination to begin with but was inexpensive, probably be a use it was a pos. Cost of repairs is not an issue but I own the thing and don't like girls ing up on projects. Sent it to Fulton Armory but they were odd about working in it or don't do repairs like this. I know they build nice guns from parts and may do some machining but dissapointly didn't want to help me. It's just metal work, I'm sure someone can do it.

Any ideas folks??

Thanks...

Edited by gsyoung54

Fulton may not have a license to work on NFA. Don't know that is just a guess. Bob Naess at http://blackrivermilitaria.com/ does alot of NFA work. I am sure he will see this and reach out to you, or you can go to his website and ask. Recon Bob at http://philaord.com/ may can do it. He certainly has the skills but you can ask him if he does Carbines. There's at least two folks that are members of this Forum, and I am sure there are others.

You cannot take it to any gunsmith and leave it unless they are licensed to do work on NFAs.

Good luck.

Sandman1957

• Upvote 1

I don't think you'll be able to set the barrel back, unless you shorten the Op Rod the same amount. Far easier to change the barrel.

I know it's been done and probably costs more in machining than changing the barrel but from what I've been reading on all the forums it's still a chance when changing the barrel or bolt carrier/bolt group... whatever it's properly called. I don't mind having a new barrel put in but there are other issues with the receiver I need them all addressed at once. I was hoping the new bolt group would help as the old bolt face was beat up but even after I put the new GI old stock one in the go/no go gauges said don't shoot. It closes easily on a field gauge...

Any ideas not listed above as to people or shops that could fix this?

Edited by gsyoung54
  • Upvote 1

New bolt and barrel will be a least cost Option I would think. Lots of places can do the barrel replacement.

Already did the new spec bolt. What guarantee do I get that a new barrel will headspace proberly? I could buy that top of the line one from Fulton but "they" said that it wouldn't fix the headspace problem. I've read up a lot on this and bought four books and watched 12 videos and am kind of familiar with how they headspace and work but I don't have a bucket of bolts and a barrel of barrels to try until I get the headspacing right. 'm pretty sure it need some new somethings... what I would really like is the names of more people who are experts and have shops with drills and mills and lathes who have done this for years...

Thanks.. George :)

New bolt and barrel will be a least cost Option I would think. Lots of places can do the barrel replacement.

I'm willing to do that but from lots of reading on lots of carbine and NFA forums it always seems chancy that even new bolts and barrels will match up... there is a lot of talk on the forums of "just try different bolts and barrels until you get a combinatin with proper headspace"... that's why I'm think in need a machinist.

If you send it to a licensed SOT/FFL who can repair these, he will tell you what has to be done to fix the gun and give you an estimate. Let them decide what the best fix is.

I've tried twice already but it's kind of hard to tell someone's true machining experience from their own web site or just contact info.

I'm thinking of upgrading from a regular SOT to a SOT manufacturer this June and just get the rest of the tools and parts I need for this project.

I've never had such an ordeal with any of my machine guns or damaged suppressors...

Fulton may not have a license to work on NFA. Don't know that is just a guess. Bob Naess at http://blackrivermilitaria.com/ does alot of NFA work. I am sure he will see this and reach out to you, or you can go to his website and ask. Recon Bob at http://philaord.com/ may can do it. He certainly has the skills but you can ask him if he does Carbines. There's at least two folks that are members of this Forum, and I am sure there are others.

You cannot take it to any gunsmith and leave it unless they are licensed to do work on NFAs.

Good luck.

Sandman1957

Thanks, I've left messages with both of your suggestions and talked to Ohio Ordinance also... they are about 9 months behind.

Really appreciate the help on this format... I don't know why I didn't buy a registered trigger pack or sear, I may have been drinking late at night....

Mine is a pre 86 keeper RR with no restrictions. I've put in a new old stock military bolt and I think an Iver Johnson as that is the frame. Both bolts fall into place with a field gauge.

I don't mind sending it to have the barrel replaced but I want to send it to a real machinist and not just a parts replacer as I'm worried there may be other issues...

I really wish I had done my research, it was a good deal except for not working!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I will go over to Subguns. Does he happen to have a website or a public e-mail address?

I believe this is it:

American Manufacturing

Mike Klos

Ezgeo1@REMOVEgmail.com

636-439-3824

(take out the REMOVE part. :D)

You could also try John Andrewski. http://johnandrewski.com

Not sure what his email address is.

Edited by MontanaRenegade86