M1 Appears All Original

pics of 1928 close up(bottom pic) showing the original cross hatch style factory rough factory finish...any sanding/blasting/ etc would erase this

even these pics have a purple hue....i have often seen dulite give off a purple color...all depends on lighting...

still could be refinished...but more touched up than completely redone...

TcFgShr.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Machine marks can often be seen under old arsenal parkerizing, especially on the edges of the raised rails of both the lowers and uppers. Just because the factory ground or machined metal surface has been beaded or grit blasted doesn’t always mean that machine marks are eliminated. Very generally, in my experience, the tops of the M1 receivers seem to have fairly light marks left by belt grinding but the remaining texture can range from very light to fairly coarse. The sides seem have more visible remaining grinding patterns but overall the metal grinding treatment is very light from a high number grit. The outside faces of the raised rails often have very heavy machine marks on them.

Anyway, I can’t successfully take pics of the machine marks remaining on the guns in the pics above as there is no adequate way for me to light the surfaces to get that kind of detail. The gun with the black oxide finish has more evident marks on the top and sides of the receiver than the parkerized one, but some of the other arsenal parked M1s that I have show more machine marks than the gun in the pic.

For parkerizing to stick well to the steel, the surface needs texturing, but it doesn’t have to be heavy. Examples of newly parked M1s with blurred stamp marks,etc are often attributed to the beading done proor parking, but the damage to the metal surface on many of these guns resulted from heavy use and/or rust. Even mild rust, if left to do its work, can remove a lot of metal. FWIW

gun sold.....lasted a week....to me? a unicorn......how many years before you see another original finish m1a1 # matching

i think someone got a bargain...anyone here?

if i had the $$ right now i would have grabbed it...if the finish was original i think -$5k under valued

Edited by huggytree

I am happy to say that this Thompson will soon be on its way to my dealer! Not my first machinegun, but my first Thompson.

I have been reading and trying to learn from this site since 2012 and am greatly appreciative of the great information on this forum. I have to say it has often been a little overwhelming but I have loved it. I look forward to sharing more pictures of it and am lager to learn more from everyone on this site. - Thanks

I am happy to say that this Thompson will soon be on its way to my dealer! Not my first machinegun, but my first Thompson.

I have been reading and trying to learn from this site since 2012 and am greatly appreciative of the great information on this forum. I have to say it has often been a little overwhelming but I have loved it. I look forward to sharing more pictures of it and am lager to learn more from everyone on this site. - Thanks

Congrats 720 i look forward to seeing some more photos of it.

• 1 year later...

Update to this post. Short version of what feels like a long wait. I found this thread in late July 2018 and bought this M1. ATF cashed My Trust’s check December 6, 2018. My form 4 was approved December 5, 2019. My dealer received it today and my first Thompson is now at home!

I’m very excited. (Fortunately, my dealer was close so I was able to visit it several times and shot it in March.)