M1 Buffer Question

Sorry if this has been covered . I wasn't able to locate it in past posts .

I have a Savage M1 . I've been using original buffers and am wondering if these vintage parts are still doing the job . I'm not sure of the composition , but if it's some sort of rubber product sandwiched between the metal , I would think it would be breaking down after 60 yrs or so . The gun works fine and I don't see chunks of buffer falling off .

Am I ok with these originals or should I purchase some new ones ?

Also , how often should I replace the main spring ? Buffer ?

Thanks for any help .

47 views . 0 replies .

Can I assume that I've "put my foot in it " ? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

I tried the search function and the FAQ page again and turned up nothing .

Thanks for looking http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Edited by guy sajer

Mitch,

I don't think that you should have a problem with the buffer or spring but it's a good idea to get a spare if you feel you would like to be on the safe side. The cost of these parts are not that much. At Knob Creek they were everywhere and new ones I also did see.

If you want you can also find a replacement buffer that would be made from a different material that you might like to try. I do not think that the buffer material used for the M1 is actually a rubber, it is a red color and I think it is something that was made that is similar to rubber but just not the same.

It's a simple item and I know that at a lot of machine shops they have materila that is similar that is newer and may work better to reduce the stress on the upper as well.

If you feel like it's an issue you can likely get a new one from Nurmrich Arms along with the spring you are talking about.

I would be more concerned with the type that was used on the earlier versions such as the 1928 versions. Those original buffers are not the same type of a sandwitch affair. And those are made of a quite different material, similar to just a fiber material. I would think that those would put much more stress on the moving parts such as the bolt as well as the receiver so that one I myself have change to a different material so it softens the recoil.

The only M1 buffers available were all made in W.W.II, except the Richardson design (I hope he is stock soon on these).

In my opinion, the GI M1 buffer does very little “buffing”, if any at all. None the less, well used ones have been known to crumble and should be discarded. If the center section appears to be in good shape, use it.

The spring should have about 69 coils and be at least 10.25” long.