Sten Mags --- Opinions on This

Huggy, It's a crap shoot on a group like this. If you're going to buy mags in this condition, then go with the converted 20 rounders like centerfiresystems has, and convert them back to 32 round, ends up very cheap per mag, check them out. they have the 10 pack and 20 pack groups. (i'm not affiliated with them) There's a dude on youtube that demonstrates how to convert them back. Other than that, buy a good one here and there as they become available, they're drying up

Good Luck, JB

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-3026-9mm-sten-20rd-magazine-used.aspx

i grabbed 3 on GB advertised in excellent condition for $20 each yesterday.....

problem with GB is people often sell their stuff that doesnt work....

you may be correct at this point ive got 7 now....buying the 20 rounders and messing with them may be a better choice...it bugs me to have holes all over them..the work part isnt a problem.....it looks easy to fix

i grabbed 10 from BRP---supposed to be minty....got them for $25.50 each....now ive got 17...im done...mission complete..

i typically keep 8 that i use and store the rest...so ive got 9 spares ...if a few dont work oh well...

thanks for all the advice....i didnt want to deal with the Israel ones just to save $15 each...at $20-25 each for excellent condition mags vs junky surplus w/ 6 drill holes the decision is easy for me....i like my mags to look nice...gun is nice condition..mags are part of the gun

Sorry Ron, when i saw them i grabbed them...BRP's last 10....and he tossed in an ejector for free to be a good guy......that guy is getting a 5 star google review later today from me....best service in the FA business

someone who bought similar mags from him said they were like new....so i jumped

i know sten stuff was common a while back...but not as much today...GB has 1 mk2 barrel...$350!!!....not that anyone is buying, but there is only 1 i can find anywhere....all others are repro's...

these spare parts are not forever....just as the mags appear to be hard to find in excellent condition now!

To be honest I would rather have a repro Barrel from Sten parts.com than an original. Todays medalurgy is a lot better than in the 40s! Parts kits can still be sourced for $160-$175! From a lot of companies. The kits that are in the $300s better be saw cut for that price. You have to a lot to learn Grasshopper, slow down and learn all you can. We are here to help! Be careful as well with the 20 round Indian mags. Sometimes the folllowers are rounded and when you convert them to 32 rounders they wont feed right. Then you will end up getting newer followers and by the time your done you will have saved nothing!! Imho.

To be honest I would rather have a repro Barrel from Sten parts.com than an original. Todays medalurgy is a lot better than in the 40s! Parts kits can still be sourced for $160-$175! From a lot of companies. The kits that are in the $300s better be saw cut for that price. You have to a lot to learn Grasshopper, slow down and learn all you can. We are here to help! Be careful as well with the 20 round Indian mags. Sometimes the folllowers are rounded and when you convert them to 32 rounders they wont feed right. Then you will end up getting newer followers and by the time your done you will have saved nothing!! Imho.

$175...add shipping...add a $100 barrel w/ shipping...then add a new spring kit...$20?

seems like $325 shipped is pretty much in line within a couple of dollars.....as a parts kit is has value to be complete and original.....this was $25 35 years ago....and in better shape...now it was $325....what will it be in 35 more years when my kids open up that box?....$1,000?

for a parts kit i think that barrel is gold....i can buy a spare new barrel too...its all cheap....

i know my kit wasnt a once in a lifetime deal, but i think it was a fair price for all that was included...maybe i over paid $25

i will probably grab a new barrel to keep as an extra spare...thanks Hal for the link!...ill probably want one threaded for a suppressor...

ive got $2000 into M6 mags.....ive got $2,000-2500+ into thompson mags/drums

got $1500 into mp40 mags

ive got $350 into 13 sten mags....

not a big deal....i prefer to be as authentic as possible....its a tube gun, but i still want it to be as correct as possible....

rather wear out the $350 mags

are you talking about the German copy of the Sten??? or some mod?

(i didnt think any of the nazi stens existed in the registry)

got my 10 BRP mags in today

NOS...absolutely flawless...$25.50 each...he tossed in (2) different style mag loaders and 1 NOS ejector for free...what a great guy....always happy with BRP's service...i rate him as #1 for service always....

DefWJU6.jpg

its hard to read some of them as i dont want to wipe off the cosmo

1 w/ ss follower unmarked

s114

diamond w/ FFL

circle w 213

m6

all 10 different

the ejector has a hole in the middle== i dont want to degrease it to see if its threaded or not

i know nothing of stens...so i dont have a clue at this point what any of the numbers mean

any of them rare? collectible?

condition is 100% brand new...very cool!

well worth the extra $$ over the cheap $15 ones

most of those arent being used....just spares....ive got 7 others in worse shape i want to go through first.....17 total...just need 8 good shooters for my mag pouch...

my guess is the 4 that come with the gun will function :)

Well just bought a big batch of cheap ones - I will let you know what I find out. I have several guns that use them, besides the STENS, so I can move them around and see what works. I find that some need the feed lips adjusted, some need the hardened grease cleaned out and some are just plain junk.

That ejector will fit a Mk2 in place of the spacer (which is throw back to the Mk1 using the same ejector as the Mk3). But the Mk2 would need the fixed ejector removing as the tip fills the same space in the tube. You also wouldnt be able to use the rotating magwell as a dust cover or to lay flat.