Help with Unusual Thompson M1 Barrel Marking

Thank you for the info! Would you have any idea of the possible makers of such a marked barrel or time frame for the "M" markings? I've not seen that on any other Thompson's of that era. That's the only marking visible.

Have you looked under the front grip? There should be a 'P' stamp and possibly a 'S' (square or rounded).

Andrew

It has what looks like a "D". An old "P" perhaps? No "S" visible. Thanks for your help! Any idea what year "M" marking barrels may have started?

attachicon.gif Barrel2.jpg

You're right, that's a P proof mark, struck slightly off center.

Excellent info--thank you. The bottom of the "P" is faintly visible if you look hard. I had read that other thread but the "M" marking was throwing me off. Did any "original" or armory replacement barrels use the "M" mark or do you think that is an indication of a modern replacement? The entire gun has been refinished so it's tough to tell from the finishing/quality of the barrel.

My original replacement Savage marked M1 barrel has a few other markings, but no 'M'. Hopefully others that have s3n or have a barrel marked with a M will chime in.

Andrew