1928a3?

I think that the WH 1928 A-3 .22 SMG has an alloy receiver.

I don't think that it would convert to .45 (at least not safely).

I heard some where that just before the May 19, 1986 cutoff date; WH re-registered some of their unsold .22 caliber SMG's as .45 caliber. The .22 caliber receivers were destroyed and the serial numbers were moved to .45 caliber SMG receivers.

This is just a rumor I heard. I don't know if it is true or not.

Norm

I think that was the Madel 22 27A-3. The 1980 Thompson catalog that I have list the Model 28 with choice of calibre.... No mention of alloy reciever anywhere.... It does say the "Model 22 27A-3 features lightweight construction using space age alloys in the receiver."

I concur. The serial numbers were reregistered and placed on new .45 receivers. I have such a West Hurley, made in 1987.

I've shot a genuine 1928 .22 rifle. Its owned by a board member and maybe he'll chime in on this subject. It was a lot of fun to shoot. The gun was light weight I suppose made from some sort if aluminum alloy. The gun shot very well. I think the receiver had the same dimentions as a standard .45 though it was quite a bit different at the chamber. The barrel was set back without the generous feeding ramp area like on the .45

Dan

I almost bought one of those back when I got my WH '28. It was a WH 1928A3. Has 2 80 round drums and a couple mags. Wish I had piked it up just for shits and giggles but I couldn't afford it then. I just saw one posted somewhere for sale for about $6500. I have always heard they needed some TLC to run right. Now with PK and some others around to talk to, maybe if I find another...............