Newbie - RMR/reflex mount M1 semi

Hello all. I'm toying with the idea of mounting an RMR / viper / Holosun / Romeo reflex. Is there anybody making adapter plates that will bolt in place of the stock rear sight?

I'm also considering milling the receiver to accept the sight. How much usable meat is there in the receiver?

I'd like to get the reflex sight as close to the boreline as possible.

My goal is use in PCC competition. Crazy, yes. I'll probably have a stroke trying to run a stage with it. But fun.

I'm planning on SBR, mag catch, EZ Pull, trigger/reliability work and LOP mods.

Thanks for letting me in the boards, and I look forward to your advice and thoughts on my crazy idea!!

El Q

NMCA

I wouldn't advise milling the receiver...there is not much metal there at all .

Without looking up dimensions I'm going to say around .100 thou .

And that's the end of the gun that takes a pounding from the bolt blowback...especially if you go with lighter pull springs.

Welcome aboard. I wouldn't do any milling back there either. Making a plate yourself isn't very hard. I made one from aluminum to raise it for sighting in. Use the original sight as a pattern to cut - drill a piece of flat stock then mark that to drill for the new sight. If new plate is the same thickness you can re-use the original screws.

Edited by vanvock

That looks like what I'm after, and maybe even some protective ears to disguise the sight. Most likely I will not be running a suppressor.

I did see one kind of reflex sight that had a channel in the housing to allow use of the stock sights.

The factory sights are pretty high. The DeltaPoint has an option to come with a built-in rear sight. If you made your mount on the thompson tall enough (or trimmed the front sight shorter), you could get this lining up.

https://www.leupold.com/gear-and-accessories/accessories/deltapoint-pro-rear-iron-sight

6192nEe1A7L._SL1200_.jpg

That looks like what I'm after, and maybe even some protective ears to disguise the sight. Most likely I will not be running a suppressor.

I did see one kind of reflex sight that had a channel in the housing to allow use of the stock sights.

The factory sights are pretty high. The DeltaPoint has an option to come with a built-in rear sight. If you made your mount on the thompson tall enough (or trimmed the front sight shorter), you could get this lining up.

https://www.leupold.com/gear-and-accessories/accessories/deltapoint-pro-rear-iron-sight

6192nEe1A7L._SL1200_.jpg

Progress. Drilled & tapped a BRP picatinny adapter so I can use the rail or red dot. No extra holes in the receiver.

EZ Pull kit is in, and smoothed out the trigger as per another post I found here somewhere. Modified the frame catch and added a trigger overtravel stop. Flared the mag channel.

I was hoping to shoot it at the local match tomorrow, but it'll have to wait til I get some more mags!!

NMCA

El Q

post-262342-0-65502700-1566005740_thumb.jpg

post-262342-0-67975700-1566005762_thumb.jpg

Progress. Drilled & tapped a BRP picatinny adapter so I can use the rail or red dot.

In my experience, drilling and tapping for the screws isn't enough. Even though the thompson isn't a heavy recoiling monster, it still shook enough to allow my red dot to shift. I had to add some roll pins to go into the 2 holes in the bottom of the red dot to act as recoil lugs.