My New Gun!

After a few months of looking and learning, I've sent off the $$$ for a Savage M1928A1! The gun is described as being 95% (almost certainly refinished), matching U/L serial numbers, finned barrel, Cutts, Lyman leaf sight, and excellent wood. S/N S-334xxx. I'm buying the gun sight unseen but it is coming from a very reputable dealer with a money back guarantee.

Based on my studying of American Thunder, I would surmise this gun is the last of what Frank describes as the "early production" series of M1928A1s. I would place it's date of production somewhere around January, 1942 as Frank notes they started installing the unshrouded Lyman "L" sight in February, 1942 with gun #400,000 (approximately).

All the primary attributes seem correct for this S/N. I don't know the details of the buttstock but it should not have the reinforcing bolt if it is the original wood. I'm also guessing this gun should have a horizontal foregrip as well as a checkered actuator.The levers may or may not be checkered.

The sellers notes there are several inspector marks but I don't know the details. For me I guess the key marks to look for would be foreign inspection marks which would designate this as a Lend-Lease gun. I actually hope there are NOT any foreign marks as I want a gun that was in the US arsenal.

Do yall agree with the basic conlusions I've outlined above? Can you offer any specific things I should look for when I get the chance to see the gun in the flesh? TIA!

I know the "old guys" think us "newbies" are crazy paying the prices we are to buy these guns... but it's worth it to me. Since the very dawn of civilization when one caveman traded a club to another caveman for a a goat skin, "value" has never been a precise and irrefutable absolute. The trade only has to make sense to the buyer and seller to be "fair". Billions of dollars are exchanged each day in financial markets across the globe as people try to exploit minute differences in perceived "value".

Machine guns in general are not commodities. Thompsons in particular have a special historical and cultural significance inherent in them that a MAC-10 will never have.

Just because someone bought their Thompson 5, 10, 15, or even 50 years ago, doesn't mean they're not actually "buying" that gun today. After all, you could always sell it for cash right now. The fact that you don't means that you are making the conscious decison that the gun is worth more to you than whatever cash it would bring from a willing buyer. In that sense, we are all in the same boat and it really doesn't matter if you "bought" your gun 50 years earlier than I.

i don't have that problem >i sold all of mine but one,"tHOMPSON gREED"never got me,i am cured........of the disease but still have the addiction..............wink!!and if i was old enough to buy one fifty years ago........... i would be in my late seventies now........

and i would have sold it by now anyhow.............we are mortal we cannot hold on to much!!!

glad you have whatever you have, enjoy it,you sound like a happy person,i am glad................respectfull ron

Congratulations Kyle. At the rate prices are rising by the time your paperwork clears and you receive your 28 you will be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. (but you won't be interested in selling because you now own the king of the subguns). Enjoy. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

QUOTE (TSMGguy @ Mar 5 2004, 09:23 PM)
You have a stronger stomach than I; I would have traveled to see the gun!

Several factors are working to make this possible.

First of all, the seller is a long time, highly reputable dealer who is on the Bowers' recommended list.

Second, my local C3, has done business with the seller over a number of years and considers him and his wife to be friends.

Finally, the seller is offerring a money back (less shipping) guarantee if I'm not happy with the gun when it arrives at my local C3.

Even considerig the amount of money involved, this is one of the easiest gun deals I've ever done.