Cutts Compensator

Hello,

I've been seeing compensators with different logos on them and was wondering what the difference between them is. One has the word Thompson inside the outline of a bullet and the other has a Cutts logo inside a box positioned on its corners. Is one older than the other and which is the more desirable version? Thank you again.

stingray656667

stingray656667,

The first Type I compensators on the Colt Guns was unmarked and slightly smaller in diameter than the Type II which was the Cutts logo in a diamond on the top front along with patent dates. There was a third type, around 1940 that had both a small bullet logo with word Thompson and the Cutts diamond logo on the top front. The Third Type was short lived as they rather quickly changed to the common WWII era compensator that had the Cutts diamond logo on the top and the Thompson bullet logo on the left side.

The type with the larger Thompson bullet logo on the top front is the modern reproduction by Numrich, West Hurley, New York, and Kahr Arms.

You could benefit from reading American Thunder III or The Ultimate Thompson Book and they will answer all your questions

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I have the American Thunder III book ordered but it has yet to arrive. I understand that it is a wealth of knowledge about Thompsons and I'm looking forward to having it as a reference source but I hope that it's not an issue to continue posting questions on subjects that I am unfamiliar with. I appreciate the reply.

stingray656667

Questions are certainly welcome as topics can always be very educational. It doesn't hurt to search the forum to see if what your looking for has been answered, and I highly recommend reading the pinned topics at the top of the Thompson section.

Andrew

• 1 year later...

stingray656667,

The first Type I compensators on the Colt Guns was unmarked and slightly smaller in diameter than the Type II which was the Cutts logo in a diamond on the top front along with patent dates. There was a third type, around 1940 that had both a small bullet logo with word Thompson and the Cutts diamond logo on the top front. The Third Type was short lived as they rather quickly changed to the common WWII era compensator that had the Cutts diamond logo on the top and the Thompson bullet logo on the left side.

The type with the larger Thompson bullet logo on the top front is the modern reproduction by Numrich, West Hurley, New York, and Kahr Arms.

You could benefit from reading American Thunder III or The Ultimate Thompson Book and they will answer all your questions

I've seen Cutt's compensators with no bullet logo. Would this be considered a fourth type? How rare would these be with respect to the others? Were they used on specific models and years of production?

stingray656667,

I've seen Cutt's compensators with no bullet logo. Would this be considered a fourth type? How rare would these be with respect to the others? Were they used on specific models and years of production?

There are unmarked compensators that are the same dimensions as the most common type WWII compensators (4th Type). These are considered to be replacement compensators and are thought to be Post-WWII manufacture. I don't believe they are considered to be particularly collectible. If you are speaking about the 1st Type compensators that are unmarked (slightly smaller dimensions than the subsequent types), they are very collectible and hard to find not already attached to a gun.

stingray656667,

There are unmarked compensators that are the same dimensions as the most common type WWII compensators (4th Type). These are considered to be replacement compensators and are thought to be Post-WWII manufacture. I don't believe they are considered to be particularly collectible. If you are speaking about the 1st Type compensators that are unmarked (slightly smaller dimensions than the subsequent types), they are very collectible and hard to find not already attached to a gun.

What are the dimension differences? Are we talking 10-15 thousandths or 50-60 thousandths?

mnshooter,

Thanks for posting that, I couldn't have posted better photos. CaptainKgun, all the subsequent models compensators, Type III, Type IV (most common), and the Post War unmarked ones are the same dimensions and thread pitch as the Type II, pictured in the excellent photos by mnshooter.