Dewat M1928a1

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif I was prowling around the subguns.com website when I stumbled onto this ad for a DEWAT M1928A1. Sounds like a mild job, nothing that a decent Class II can't fix (or me for that matter, that's how mild it's done). So why post it here? The owner's asking $11,500 plus a 5% "brokering fee." I've seen transferable WHs going for that, so I think that's a bit steep. So, what is the consenus of a fair price for this DEWAT? Here's a link to the site. Hope it works... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif www.subguns.com Thanks in advance!!!

Tiger,

I never have any dealings with dewats. But it seems 11500 plus the seller's fee is more than i would pay. They had a savage 1928a1 sell for 13500 a month ago. I think i would pay a little more and get something that has not been cut with a torch unless there is a great savings. And if you decided to sell the gun it would be a lot easier to sell one that isn't a reweld.

Where are you located at tiger. I'm in south mississippi and am a big lsu tiger fan myself

Steve

First you will need a very good Thompsonsmith. Second, you will need BATF approval, plus $200.00 for the tax. Third, you will need a new barrel, bolt, etc. and Fourth you will need lots of patience and around $1,000.00 to $2,000.00. Seems overpriced (at this time) to me. I agree with nobra81, look around.

PhilOhio: I speak from personal experience. The form 5 may give a clue as to what needs to be replaced. My Savage 1928A1 had a hardened steel rod welded inside the barrel, the barrel welded to the frame on the inside and the outside, the firing pin removed and the bolt face ground off. (All exactly according to Gov't requirements). Also needed to replace the grip mount. Ohio Ordnance works did a beautiful job and it runs like a stripped a.. ape! I'm very pleased with mine. Paid $2,000.00 for the registered dewat, with an "L" drum and one XX mag and one XXX mag. Paid $500.00 for N.O.S. GI parts and just under $1,000.00 for the rewat and (God forbid) the dark black reblue http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif , plus $200.00 to uncle Sam. Bought it Less than 1 1/2 years ago. Great shooter. Like fullauto45 says "The deals are still out there".

Looking at the pictures of the specific example in Subguns ad 3802 (or as much as I can tell), this gun has had the barrel and the receiver nose torched. All of the visible metal pieces have at least some extent of surface rust as well. To my admittedly untrained eye, looks like a major repair job to the receiver and a new barrel just to get it to run.

Even then the surface rust will seriously detract from the value. Even without the torch cuts, I would rate this particular gun at less than 50% condition based on what I can see in the photos.

IMHO - this one is a basket case. Maybe the photos don't do the real thing justice.

Folks,

I talked with a class III dealer in MI this weekend at a gunshow. He went out Sat nite and bought a M1A1 de-mill for $800 (and graciously agreed to pay the $200 tax himself)! This gun is registered, surprisingly. I saw the papers. It is on a Form 5. The gun was de-milled by welding a plug inside the barrel, welding the barrel to the frame on the underside of the gun, and milling the bolt face. Sounds like the de-mills that are coming from France now.

Buyer would like to know what he has to register it on - a Form 3 or what? Anyone know?

I guess there are much cheaper alternatives to the $11.5K rewats out there. I certianly would wait.

Also heard the story of the Grand Rapids MI hardware store auction with 10 drums - 100 rounders, numbered, that went for $4.00 each! Anyone heard this one? Sounds to unreal to even be a good story!

I have a Savage 28 dewat that had the barrel plugged and welded to the receiver. I see no problem with the price and PK`s expert rewatting magic in the near future...I`m sure it will run as good as it will look. No , it is not a Colt, but it was made on Colt tooling and I`m positive that PK will treat it like every other tmsg he works on.The end results will be worth the wait and another Thompson will join the ranks of the active shooters...a very important accomplishment in my opinion,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif