Lewis Gun Added To Scope Of Forum

Dave A added the Lewis gun to the BREN gun forum at my suggestion. The reason I suggested it was because I recently bought a Lewis gun. I suggested that Dave add it to the BREN gun rather than a stand alone for two reasons.

1- neither gun will probably get a lot of comments since owners and shooter seem to be rather scarce.

2. these two guns are related since the BREN replaced the Lewis as Englands LMG in 1935.

The Lewis gun was the first machine gun fired from an airplane in 1912 in Maryland USA. This was repeated in England in 1913. The British used the Lewis extensively as both a infantry and air firearm in WW1.

The Lewis was invented by 2 Americans, Dr. Samuel McClean and Col. Isaac Walton Lewis a West Point graduate.

The Lewis was initially rejected in the US and embraced in England.

Both Savage Arms and Birmingham Small Arms perfected and produced the Lewis, with BSA making the most.

The Lewis was the main infantry anti-aircraft gun in WW1. The Vickers HMG was too heavy and clumsy and water cooled to serve this purpose.

During WW1 the Germans used Zeppelins as a terror weapon to bomb England. The Air Lewis mounted in a Sopwith Camel, using a special incendiary bullet is credited in shooting down 10 of 12 Zeppelins. This caused the Germans to discontinue the use of this tactic.

Baron Manfred Von Richtoven the "Red Baron" is believed to have been shot down by Australian infantry using the Lewis gun.

Thats enough typing for now.

If you would like to see a picture of my Lewis gun refer below to "Not a BREN gun but".

Jim C

Great to see this historic firearm added to the forum. Here's a photo & video of my BSA .303.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/dougstump/2010-05-23155441.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/dougstump/th_Lewis1.jpg

Bass Pro now carries a case that is a perfect fit, at least for a British Lewis.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/dougstump/DSC_1246.jpg

Doug

• 1 month later...

Actualy the Bren didn't quite replace the Lewis by WW2. Many guns were issued to the Home Guard, plus they were also used on ships.

In fact WW1 Aircraft guns were also fitted with wire buttstocks for the Home Guard and they found they worked just as well without that aluminum radiator and barrel casing

Just a passing note, I found a firm in the U.K. that makes repo stuff and ordered a sling for my Lewis gun.

And I might add I once met a man who was on the Gunboat Panay in the Yangste river and he used a Lewis gun to fire at the jap planes that were attacking the ship.

Doug, do you have a catlog number for that case? Trying to load the wood transit case into the car is a real pain.

It's their Redhead 1856 collection, just be sure to get the 53" case. Now if this link will work....

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

One day I'll try to pick up the transit case, just to stare at.

Has anybody got an anti-aircraft sight they might part with?

Doug

Doug, do you have a catlog number for that case? Trying to load the wood transit case into the car is a real pain.

It's their Redhead 1856 collection, just be sure to get the 53" case. Now if this link will work....

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

One day I'll try to pick up the transit case, just to stare at.

Has anybody got an anti-aircraft sight they might part with?

Doug

Doug,

I don't remember if I mentioned it , but 3 weeks ago I bought a transit chest from Sarco for $195.00. They have more of them if you are interested.

I wanted to post on on this sight , but figured it was meaningless with out pictures and I have trouble posting pictures here.

But in any case, the chest I received was pretty nice considering its age. It was repainted and a couple parts replaced, but , all things considered, it was pretty nice. Since it was repainted anyway, I took it upon myself to stencil -"GUN LEWIS 303 Mk1" on the front in white paint, as mentioned in the book "The Belgium Rattlesnake"

Maybe tomorrow I'll attempt to send the pictures to you and then you can post them here.

I totally agree with John Sukey that the chest is too heavy for range use. Its over 30 lbs. Heavier than the gun. Still its a nice artifact.

The case I received measures 46X10.5X8 inches. This is less that the chest mentioned in the book T.B.R. which is 47 3/8X9X10 5/8 inches. I think that means its an early case. Hopefully , John Sukey will comment on this.

Jim C

PS did your form 4 come in yet? If yes, please give the pending date, approved date and the examiner.

Jim C,

If you need some pictures posted, send them to me, and I'll put them up. I know you used up your individual photo upload allotment on the forum. I may increase the maximum allotment per registrant, but I need to consider the overall effect on the website before I change it.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Question asked of a home Guard officer. What commands would you give if the germans invaded.

His answer; Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes

When asked why, he answered

"I have two Lee enfields with five rounds apiece and a Lewis gun with a broken return spring!"

By the way for anyone needing bits for their Lewis gun, try www.omega-weapons-systems .com

Owner is Don Bell, a nice guy to deal with. and he does have the return springs. Good idea to have a spare one handy.

Edited by John Sukey

PS did your form 4 come in yet? If yes, please give the pending date, approved date and the examiner.

Jim,

Here's the data on my Form 4 (individual transfer):

Sent to ATF 7/23

ATF Rec'd 7/26

Check cashed 7/27

Pending 8/27

Approved 10/01

Rec'd Form 4 10/09

Examiner: Suzanna Santamaria

Doug

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on this forum for quite some time due to personal reasons but I received a PM from a member today and checked in to reply. I was quite pleased to see that Lewis Guns were now a part of this forum.

My wife bought this Japanese one for me back in 2010. Its bipod and drum are British. It runs like a top and is very accurate - at least for an open bolt LMG.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/MLV1/photobucket005.jpg

I wish I could read Japanese. I had it on display at a gun show when a young Asian fellow was excitedly looking it over. I asked him to translate the markings. He looked up at me with a perplexed expression and said, "Sir, I Chinese, not Japanese." Good old foot in mouth.

Anyway, glad to see that Lewis guns are on here now.

Mike Venturino