MK2 Mags hard to get in and out of magwell

The two original mags I have are really hard to get into the magwell, and even harder to get out. I degreased, cleaned, and put a little oil on them but that didn't help. Neither the mags or magwell look to be damaged or out of square. I was thinking about sanding the tops of the mags down a little, but don't know if that'll help either. To get them out, I have to brace the rifle between my legs and wiggle the mag while pulling hard on it. Theyre that tight.

Any suggestions?

Take a mag without much finish on it and cover the top with a black magic marker. Insert and remove from magwell. The scratches will show where it is binding.

I'd guess that you have a out-of-square magwell. Gentle work in a bench vise can fix that.

you might want to try some other Mags, since the variety of magazines and guns made over the years may not always be "made for each other". I have had a LOT of STENS and sten mags over the years ( Last time I bought some I got 100 mags) and one country made guns and mags but they may not fit another countries that well. They do not all fit equally well. I would try different mags before I started cutting grinding welding to fit -

I used a marker on both mags and they were dragging on the sides on both. I took a sanding wheel and took a little metal off until the both were looser. They aren't drop free by any means, but at least I can pull them out easier.

All the metal work is done, I just have the receiver tack welded to the lower for now. I want to wait to finish securing it permanently until I get the bolt. IO is still showing backorderd on them, so I'll have to keep checking with them.

Its too bad the receiver tube is new. I'd like to keep the original color of the rifle, but the upper needs to be painted. I'm going to look for some paint that is close to the original paint.

Sten mags are never tight unless something is wrong. Are you sure they are Sten mags? Before you adjust anything more, wait until you have your bolt and can test them for functionality. You may find they don't feed very well anyway. It was normal to retain compatible mags with a specific gun when they were known to work well.

I have a Sten Mk1, a LB Mk2, 3 Faz Mk2, a Lined Bros Mk3 and a Thrace Mk5 and the LB Mk2 has the best fitting Mag to Mag housing of any of them, those Canadians knew how to make a quality cheap product!

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding paint, you can try:

http://www.desertfoxsales.com/BRITISH_BLACK_GUN_SPRAY_PAINT_p/dfs-344.htm

You can try them too: http://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2012/10/BritishBlack2-1.jpg

I can't vouch for either product because I had some of this already sitting in my garage and it worked well: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/600/a1/a18bd6cc-f11b-46e7-8895-a8bfecacac9d_600.jpg

Strip all the old finish off and then apply it in light coats to a uniform surface. Patience, young Jedi.... (Better prep always yields better results.) It's durable and matches the finish on my buttstock well. (I respect the history of these guns, but mine had been so re-painted so many times that I didn't see my efforts as diminishing the authenticity any.)

Regarding the mags, they are the weak link in the weapons system. After the war, many French partisans commented that Sten guns were easy to get - reliable mags were not. In fact they'd pocket them during a firefight because they didn't have the luxury of getting more later. But once you get a combo that works, tis a glorious thing. :woot:

Thanks for the links, I may try the British Black paint. I saw some Krylon green camo that I might try also, since mine is already an off green color. I'm guessing that's the original paint?

I've got the bolt in and the mags are coming out easier, so I'm ready to shoot as soon as I can get to the range.

The only other issue I saw was when I used dummy bullets to test chambering and ejection, they are tipped up a little bit in the mags. But again, that's with lighter dummy bullets and only a couple loaded at a time.

Edited by Dborns

I've never seen a green sten - just black (either painted or 'blued'). Kinda like Mr. Ford's color options on the Model T.

The feed angle should be 7.5 degrees, +/- 0.5 deg. Your actual mileage may vary, depending on the the spacing & condition of the feed lips acting on the brass. (You may also want to invest in one of these: http://www.brpguns.com/products/STEN-Magazine-Repair-Tool-Set.html ) Quantity & composition of the ammo shouldn't change that. But live fire is always mysteriously different from cycling ammo by hand. Things move a lot faster & harder (and hotter). Anticipated problems disappear as often as unexpected difficulties pop out of nowhere. Keep in mind that you're making a gun, something that Mssrs. Thompson, Browning, et al. could tell you is a complicated lengthy process of trial & error.