A "Franken-Thompson" Returns From the Dead....

Gentlemen:

This gun had been busted and out of action for about 30+ years. Yeah, I know, that's crazy but the owner, a buddy of mine, had other things to shoot and never made it a priority to get it back in action. One of the other guns we regularly shot was a M1928A1 that is in beautiful shape. My pal was finally persuaded, over the course of years, to get this one fixed and make it the shooter, and thus allow the M1928A1 to ease into semi-retirement.

M1_A1_TSMG_right.png

This one is a bit of a pooch, and purists will no doubt be offended. However, it has the tax stamp. It now runs beautifully. We put about 200 rounds through it on New Year's Day without a single failure.

M1_A1_TSMG_left.png

This gun has a lot of miles on it. Many, many years ago it had been used in a crime. When the owner at the time no longer had a need for it it was recovered. The former owner, a real mastermind, had chosen to remove almost every marking on it. It has, of course, been refinished and rather poorly at that. And no, my pal had nothing to do with any of that.

It was registered in the 1968 amnesty. Since the serial had been removed it had a 4-digit IRS serial number affixed to it.

Yeah, I know, it's appearance and mods will make the purists want to puke. Nonetheless, it is still a functioning, NFA tax-paid weapon that can be shot without worrying about scratching it. It is indeed ugly but it has been returned to life and my pal is very pleased. We are now planning our next trip to the range.

Regards,

Charlie

Edited by ordnanceguy
  • Upvote 2

being a crime gun w/ #s sanded off gives it its own history

is the previous owner anyone remotely famous? id document him as much as possible

id replace the incorrect parts which could be done for minimal costs...sell the existing parts

Edited by huggytree

being a crime gun w/ #s sanded off gives it its own history

is the previous owner anyone remotely famous? id document him as much as possible

id replace the incorrect parts which could be done for minimal costs...sell the existing parts

Yeah, I'd replace the parts too, but getting my pal to do that sort of thing is a very slow process. It took me years of cajoling just to get him to fix it. He is concerned hardly at all with the fine points like "correct" parts but is really pleased that it is back in functioning condition.

The bad guy who lost possession of this gun was a third rate, two-bit punk and certainly nobody famous, except maybe in his own mind. This was in the early 1960s.

Charlie

Hope this isnt a stupid question but they made 1928s with the charging handle on the side like the M1s??

Every once in a while you run across an M1 or M1A1 receiver that is festooned with 28 parts in a sad attempt to give the gun a "make-over"

They would even sometimes cut a slot in the receiver to take drums, which pretty much ruins the gun.

Hope this isnt a stupid question but they made 1928s with the charging handle on the side like the M1s??

you could probably sell the existing parts for a similar price to the parts youd need to buy to make it correct....and would increase the value of the gun

you could even get someone to restamp all the markings back on ill bet....bring it up to a $19-20k gun or in todays crazy marked ask $25 and come up with a nutty story

someone may find this gun desirable for its criminal past and find the ground off markings a neat part of history....

id still swap the parts though

If you think about it....the m1 is more simple than the 28. The ability to remove the stock for concealed carry was addressed with the 28 lower. The cutts gives it a little more control. Actually this is not such a bad configuration if you are in the crime business.

It's a model shop hybrid prototype, it was painted black to disguise it. Once we removed the black paint it was discovered it had never even made it to being serial numbered due to the war ending. We found it in a time capsule just before we imploded the building. We ran immediately to have it serial numbered then went next door and amnesty registered it on the last day.......buy it now 50K. Thank me later