1928A1 Actuator

Calling on the experts here. Do you recommend buying a spare actuator? Has anyone ever seen one break or fail? Would like your opinions before I consider shelling out the money as they are quite expensive as you guys are well aware. Thank you. Moose.

Moose1023,

It really depends on what type of actuator you want to purchase a spare for.

If a Colt - purchase a GI actuator and use it. Don't wear out an expensive Colt part.

If a West Hurley - purchase a GI actuator and use it. WH actuators are mostly cast, generally out of spec and can break or fail.

If a GI - it all depends on how much you shoot your Thompson. If only a 1000 rounds a year or less, you are probably not going to need a spare actuator anytime soon. However, if you do a lot of shooting each year, I would want to have a spare.

I have seen the smooth cocking ball GI actuators at under a $100. That is really a bargain compared to the prices years ago. Shop smart and you can probably find one to fit your budget. Be careful of West Hurley actuators at great prices. These are a waste of money.

Yes, actuators do break. This was the result of shooting not physical abuse. It is the remains of my well used Savage. Yes, I did have a spare.

Bob D

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7333.JPG

You can NEVER have too many spare parts. ALthough there are a few really talented machinists making stuff like this, it's still cheaper to buy right now. The parts were expensive several years ago, then the Russian gun parts kits hit the market and you can still get some good buys....but they are drying up as people like me lay in a supply to keep our guns running well into the future.

My recommendation is to start looking for parts and buy then whenever they are lower than the going rate. Twenty years from now, if you happen to have 6 spare actuators but need a barrel, you will have something to trade.....

Just my 2 cents worth here

john

(several spare parts kits, 6 spare barrels, at least a hundred mags, a dozen drums, gobs of little spare parts....

Jeez! I'll need a million rounds just to wear all these out!!)

As always, here's my contrarian view:

I bought the M1928A1 in the mid 1990s and immediately began a minor quest to lay in spare parts, including the lock, actuator, extractor, ejector, and other misc. odds and ends. I basically ended up with enough NOS spare originals to build a gun, minus only the receiver and frame. Then, for 10 years or so nothing broke or needed replacing. These guns were evidently built like tractors. As others built up projects or needed spares, I gradually parted with my minor hoard.

I think that it's a question of how much you shoot. In my case, not all that much. If you regularly give your guns a good workout like many here on the boards, then parts might be a good invenstment indeed. The occasional shooter (like me) might get by with only minor spares, like springs, a few blish locks (these really do wear), and extractor.

As always, here's my contrarian view:

I bought the M1928A1 in the mid 1990s and immediately began a minor quest to lay in spare parts, including the lock, actuator, extractor, ejector, and other misc. odds and ends. I basically ended up with enough NOS spare originals to build a gun, minus only the receiver and frame. Then, for 10 years or so nothing broke or needed replacing. These guns were evidently built like tractors. As others built up projects or needed spares, I gradually parted with my minor hoard.

I think that it's a question of how much you shoot. In my case, not all that much. If you regularly give your guns a good workout like many here on the boards, then parts might be a good invenstment indeed. The occasional shooter (like me) might get by with only minor spares, like springs, a few blish locks (these really do wear), and extractor.

I shoot a lot. The actuator on my early Savage was the only part I ever had to replace. That was somewhere between 25,000-30,000 rounds of my shooting. I did replace a perfectly functioning but worn blish lock along the way. The old one is now my spare. I have spare firecontrol parts, ejectors, extractors, barrel, bolt etc. What I don't have is a spare actuator and I will remedy that soon. You don't need a lot of spare parts for these guns. Actually, I believe that tractors are built like Colts and WWll guns.

Bod D

I don't consider this one a spare. Of course I don't have a spare for it either. The spare 28 unit I used when my original broke was to have been cut down to 21 spec. I love the gun in 21 mode.

Time to "reactuate"

Bob D

IMG_4250.JPG