List Of John Dillinger's Thompsons

Just an update-

The Winchester model 07 displayed in Tucson #46051 ( one of two) was stolen from Auburn along with # 8946 Thompson. This was a standard 07, not altered by Lebman.

Other one is a full auto Lebman 07 ( 21218), probably bought in San Antiono, on the way to Tucson, from Florida. Makley/Clark or Pierpont ?

Research from the FBI files-

Years ago I talked with John Henwood, ( long time ago ) & he was allowed to take the 07s apart to see what Lebman did. To be honest, I think it was John, just to qualify this. Hard to remember crap when you are 66.

Just to clarify, the 1907 Winchester 351 that is on display in Tucson, matches the serial number of the one taken by Dillinger in Auburn.

This is not a 401 Winchester, a different animal, different gun, a 1910 Winchester.

The One Thompson on display is # 5878, is the one JD took from Peru, the other #7731 is " assumed" to be a Thompson probably bought from Lebman by Makley/Clark or Pierpont on the way to Tucson from Florida.

It gets confusing.

Edited by OCM

• 1 year later...

Hello from Auburn, Indiana!

My name is Mark Stump and I am the Captain for the Auburn Police Department. I found this site shortly after being called by Lori Hyde regarding the Auburn Thompson #8946. I had been working on getting our Thompson back for a couple of years at the time she called, and finally have some news I thought some might like to hear.

Colt Thompson #8946, which was stolen October 14, 1933 from the Auburn Police Department armory by members of the Dillinger Gang, has been approved for return to our department by the FBI. It has been a long drawn out affair, but the call came early this week informing us that we will be receiving it in the very near future, once they decide how it will be returned. The FBI is leaning towards some type of PR event as opposed to simply shipping, but at this point I don't care how we get it back.

Once back in our possesion it will be placed on display for anyone with an interest to enjoy. If you're ever in Auburn, stop by and I'll get you a good look at it.

Mark, Thanks- Great treasure. Yes, Lori is part of our Gun Hunter group. She needs to be there, a great Dillinger historian.

Glad it's FINALLY coming home. If you need any historical background on the Dillinger event, be sure to contact myself or Lori Hyde, she's just down the road from you-

Best,

Sandy Jones

Edited by OCM

Sandy,

I just saw this today. Supposedly a Dillinger gun recovered by Purvis. Do you know abything about this one or the owner? I was surprised to see a crossbolt stock and the commemorative Thompson, makes me wonder what's up? The photo shows the commemorative, but in the video you see the supposed recovered gun.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/08/20/2931945/collectors-passion-makes-for-high.html#

- Ron

1ilsmJ_AuSt_74.jpg

Ron-

Do know of Ross via Alston Purvis, Melvin's son. ( Vendetta )

Have never heard of a Dillinger Thompson falling into Melvin Purvis' hands, for his private collection ?

Yes, knew about the Gus Winkler 45 auto.

The Thompson with the crossbolt stock could be considered suspect as you pointed out. Dillinger was killed in 1934It's all about paperwork and provenance . Seems a quick run of the Thompson serial number with Gordon's list might open up something, maybe not. A simple project.

Nothing surprises me much anymore. I'll send this off to the Gun Hunter group, see if anything pops up-

one more thing, if it's a crossbolt in the stock, means it's non-removable, right ? Means it's a WWII gun, right ?

I've got someone on the series number, as we speak.

Sandy

Edited by OCM

The crossbolt just means a later 28 stock. Early 28s had a non-crossbolt stock then later switched to the crossbolt. Still removable, just not a Colt stock. Could be a later stock on a Colt. Would be interesting to get more information if you have a way to contact the guy.

- Ron

Working on it. Any idea on years of a late production 28 with the crossbolt ? Savage, Bridgeport ?

CASE CLOSED- The Thompson in question here is a, WWII 1928A1. If Dillinger owned it, it would be his ghost. We had a couple more views of the gun, good and close and Chuck S. IDed it right away as a 1928A1.

Also another researcher we know interviewed Alston Purvis who said his father never owned a Dillinger gun, any Dillinger gun. ?

• 6 months later...

Hello from Auburn, Indiana!

My name is Mark Stump and I am the Captain for the Auburn Police Department. I found this site shortly after being called by Lori Hyde regarding the Auburn Thompson #8946. I had been working on getting our Thompson back for a couple of years at the time she called, and finally have some news I thought some might like to hear.

Colt Thompson #8946, which was stolen October 14, 1933 from the Auburn Police Department armory by members of the Dillinger Gang, has been approved for return to our department by the FBI. It has been a long drawn out affair, but the call came early this week informing us that we will be receiving it in the very near future, once they decide how it will be returned. The FBI is leaning towards some type of PR event as opposed to simply shipping, but at this point I don't care how we get it back.

Once back in our possesion it will be placed on display for anyone with an interest to enjoy. If you're ever in Auburn, stop by and I'll get you a good look at it.

Thompson #8946 is home. I just placed back into the department's armory. After a lengthy homecoming inspection of course.
  • Upvote 1

Wonderful. Hope you guys can get it working again. If Peru can get theirs back, means all 4 Indiana Thompson are back home.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anybody ever locate the two in the panels of the car that was given to the attorney in Tucson. from John?

the car was sold years ago. talked with the attorneys daughter,she is in her early 70's she had a copy of the receipt. and said when sold they took apart the car to paint or restore, and found the two machineguns in her words. and that was as far as I got with her.weird story but i'm sure its true. Ron colt21a

Ron-

I have to disagree on the story, I don't believe it. The car was a brand new 34 Hudson that John & Billie bought , cash, at the St Louis Auto show, on their way to Tucson. He probably only had the car for a couple weeks before being arrested in Tucson- Here is a list of the cars that were taken at the Tucson arrest.

I have that story somewhere Dillinger gave the car to his attorney, Rose Silver ( I think that was the name ) in trade for lawyer fees. Rest of the cars hit the auction block in 36, I even have a short film of the cars-

The article said her son found a machine gun behind the rear seat many years later. I would guess the Tucson police went through the cars after the arrest, seats in these old cars came out fairly easy, spring cushions.

Last I traced the Brown 34 Dillinger Hudson was a t a crime show at the Colorado State Fair in the early 50s.

Anyway, I don't buy the story, pretty far fetched IMHO. Cool story tho- Imagine finding a JD Thompson behind the rear seat.....

Bet the BATF guys liked that too.

OCM

Tucson Cars113.jpg

If you have one, ( Thompson), recovered from the rear seat of the 34 Hudson Sedan, please PM me VERY quietly !

Thanks-

OCM

PPS: I had an older lady ( got to watch the term older these days, all relative now ) that said she had a Buntline Special recovered from under her porch, buried there by John Dillinger at his escape from the Little Bohemia Lodge. On his escape, Dillinger stopped and buried it under her front porch, so she told me. We should actually start a thread Outlaw Urban Legends, bet everyone has a few of these. The Smithsonian Medical Museum & Dillinger is a long standing one...... Helmer has a bunch !