PK Westies

I am the owner of a WH 1928 that I sent to PK to have the "magic" done. I'll admit I went a bit overboard on the "improvements", to wit: quick change barrel mod, a 9mm bolt and barrel, a 7.62*25 barrel (uses the 9mm bolt), a 1921 style non-compensated barrel in .45, a set of 1921 internals, a .22 kit. At the same time 3 Suomi 9mm drums were modified to slide in like the 50 round Thompson drum does, modification to the .45 and 9mm bolts so the safety can be applied to lock the bolt in the forward position (inspired by the British modification), 6 ppsh 43 stick mags (work for both the 7.62*25 and 9mm rounds). So now I have a gun that can be used in .45 (21 or 28 style), 9mm (both sticks and drums), 7.62*25 with stick mags, and .22lr with drums or sticks). I have both compensated and non compensated .45 barrels, The 7.62 and 9mm are compensated. It was well worth the cost and the wait at least in my mind. His work is without peer. When I put it aside my Colt 21AC shooter it looks the same and shoots the same when using the 21 internals. I can swap to the 28 internals and shoot slower if I want. In 9mm there is almost no muzzle rise even with the longer burst of drum dumps(71 rounds). I am a happy PK customer!

Kinda lacks elegance that. But you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. They

can't all be pretty I guess.

Here is a picture of the Blish rail modification PK did to my WH. PK told me he added the little bit of extra metal in the front to help keep the bolt alligned.

The only problem I see with this is that it looks like you are not shooting your gun enough!

No criticism really intended guys. Not saying I could have done better. Just

saying sometimes things can't be helped and that is my assessement of the

fix that was done. Truly who cares as long as the Thompson shoots true.

But I might add that the other PK fix pics did look elegant.

Edited by T Hound

Question i am wanting to make my my semi auto receiver look more like a Full Auto receiver with more rounded edges and not the sharp edges like a Kahr. does any one have an idea about who can do this? i know this is a FA thread but you all are on the subject of repairs and modifications to thompsons.

Ryan

There is also no second choice when it comes to re-manufacturing a West Hurley. No one but PK repairs the Blish slots or locks. Any competent gunsmith can make a WH look pretty and probably function most of the time. However, as PK has stated on this Board, most WH Thompsons are internally eating themselves alive when fired. When a WH could be purchased for $400, you did not care if the receiver cracked. It is a different world today.

So what kind of crap metal was the West Hurley made of such that it would crack or "eat itself alive"? I assume that PK repairs require some creative welding of the receiver on the inside?

PM sent...

Tag.

I have a PK`d WH 28 that has performed for over 10yrs...10,000rd count not one hiccup...when I wanted a commercial Savage rewatted...the choice of PK was a no-brainer...back then the wait was 6-8 months...it was well worth it :happy:

• 5 years later...

PK will stamp his Diamond K logo on the receiver at the owners request - sometimes. I am not certain of his criteria for or for not stamping the logo, but I know the stamp is not automatic. However, anyone that has had PK re-manufacture their West Hurley Thompson will have a copy of the final bill from Diamond K. If the owner does not have a copy of the bill, then I doubt any work was done by PK. This bill is not something that you would lose if you own a PK'd West Hurley.

One major part you have to look at in a West Hurley M1 Thompson is the bolt. AOC West Hurley did manufacture the M1 bolt - and not very well. I would guess any PK'd M1 West Hurley would have a GI bolt.

PK will stamp his Diamond K logo on the receiver at the owners request - sometimes. I am not certain of his criteria for or for not stamping the logo, but I know the stamp is not automatic. However, anyone that has had PK re-manufacture their West Hurley Thompson will have a copy of the final bill from Diamond K. If the owner does not have a copy of the bill, then I doubt any work was done by PK. This bill is not something that you would lose if you own a PK'd West Hurley.

One major part you have to look at in a West Hurley M1 Thompson is the bolt. AOC West Hurley did manufacture the M1 bolt - and not very well. I would guess any PK'd M1 West Hurley would have a GI bolt.

Thanks. In my initial inspection the 2 pieces that stood out as original WH were the bolt and the lower. This gun is part of an estate with more than a dozen MG that the owner bought purely as investments in the late 80s, that I'm buying today. He's not a gun person at all, so none have been shot and he doesn't remember what all he has.

Now to decide if I want to resell it as is, or to put one of my parts kits into it. I dont see enough WH M1s sell to know if I'll get an extra $2K out of a gun if I replace all the WH parts. I'm thinking not.

If the owner does not remember sending the M1 to PK, he most likely did not. If nothing else, the owner would remember writing the check to cover the work.

I am only guessing about PK not using an AOC West Hurley bolt when he remanufactures a WH M1. Given WH M1 bolts are normally not manufactured to proper specifications, I can't imagine PK would use one. However, I do know that he does not automatically replace the WH frame on a 1928 or M1 Thompson with a GI part. If the WH frame can be made to GI specifications, he will use it (and save the owner money).