Cleaning The Tapco Mags

Just one more opinion on how I go about cleaning the cosmoline off mags. The easiest and most effective way I have found is by just heating them in front of a fire to melt the grease out. I just put them in a pan lined with tin foil and set this in front of a fire in the fireplace and rotate them around every few minutes. Obviously don't let them get red-hot, just good and warm. Soon the cosmo runs out and the mag is wiped down while still warm. This does away with having to take the mag apart and also leaves a very thin coating on the inside to protect it. I have tried solvents and carb cleaner and they work O.K. unless the cosmo is applied very heavily as it is on the Tapco mags.

Just my $0.02.

ZLP

Makes sense to me....seeing as how Mil. Cosmoline is melted before being brushed on (or as with small parts, they are dipped). I haven't used this method although I did put a few mags in the oven on warm (in a cookie sheet lined with newspaper)..... Phewwwww!! Stunk up the whole house. Didn't hear the end of it from my wife for a month! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Even in front of the fireplace I'd guess the aroma would spread quickly!!

I personally like wiping all the excess off with papertowels and soaking them in Kerosene. But you can't do this inside either!!

And seeing as how I have a boxful of the greasy mags from Tapco (along with some Sten mags, too!) to clean, I'll try the heating method outside next time we have a campfire in the firepit....bet it works great!

Thanks, ZLP!

john

I use a disposable bread pan, placing the mags upside down in it and warm them in the oven.

I fell the same way, it does leave a thin film inside to assist with protection, then the exterior can be wiped the rest of the way clean. I always apply a light coat of oil and pay particular attention the rails.

It works great!

DO NOT OVER COOK! LOL

I should have used an oven thermometer, but I just set the oven to warm, and allowed them to "cook" for about 10 - 15 minutes. No smoke, no odor, when finished I just threw away the bread tin. The mags I heated are shooters, and very far from pristine.

The crazy part is that the newest looking mag doesn't feed at all! That one has become a novelty to sit on the shelf for looks. Guess I should invest in a set of mag anvils.