USMC transit chest with contents pics

Yes , I'm well aware of what they commonly used . But , did they ever use the case type at all ? The tag calls for 2 containers , each with the acc, and spare parts for one gun , not two containers for one set of acc. and parts to be used between both guns . I don't have the Colt style case and so , while I know it's the same size as a 20 rd mag , I don't know if it would hold all or even most of what's on the list.

They would have been available for purchase , after all. Maybe a limited purchase ?

Chris

Chris,

I guess that is very possible that they did use the commercial type spare parts box or maybe the marines had their own version. Would make sensr because as you stated that would fill the pouches when a mag was stored with each gun. I would love to see a picture of one in use or out for inspection in a period photo. Doesnt seem to be much information out there on them. Maybe it was never a standard item and the chests were only used by one division or base?

I think next week I'm going to get brave and try and make a copy of this thing. What is the lid made out of? Plywood? Are the sides solid or are they made up if multiple planks?

I've been looking at your pictures and the pictures here hoping to get a good idea on how to design this. It'll be no where near the original but I'm hoping to get something as an accurate representation:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?s=c123f304d5ce84cc75ecbfee3ddfa979&showtopic=15490

I will try to get some dimensions for you the next few days. My box bottom and lid are actually toung and groove(3 pieces each) and the sides are solid wood. The dividers are also regular wood. The pieces that hold the guns in place are actually pretty crude the way they are cut out. These boxes look depot made to me and not made by a cabinet or woodworking company.

No worries. I was trying to think of what kind of materials I could make this out of. I have a couple old wooden ammo boxes that look like they are just pine 1x6" planks, or even 1/2"x6" planks.

I was thinking since this might be hard to come by I could probably find a pallet some place and 'repurpose' the wood into making a crate. I think I saw a while ago at home depot they sold pine tounge and groove, wonder if they still have it.

Added... How about when your bored would you mind taking a picture of the hinges?

Edited by Kilroy

• 3 weeks later...

I had a friend draw this up, hopefully I copied your drawing right. I haven't had a chance to make it yet. Need to clean some garbage out of the garage before I can.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/scan0001_zpsbe1ecf17.jpg