Whats the best value in a Thompson ?

In the most general sense,

I think the best all around value in a Thompson is a genuine USGI M1 or M1A1.

I think that model is undervalued and underpriced relative to the rest of the Thompsons by the public. Probably because it lacks the fancy features of the 1921 and 28 models like the finned barrel, Cutts, etc.

But in my opinion the gun gave up nothing in terms of function, it was actually a "product improved" version as a war weapon.

If you get one of those, you are getting a discount Thompson that was superbly made to USGI specs.

And if it's a rebuild like most of them, you can shoot it extensively without worrying about spoiling its beauty or originality.

That would be my No.1 pick for value / price.

Edited by buzz

All of them and none of them. There is an occasional deal to be had for any given model, but by and large, all have gotten over priced for what they are. Shooter grade Thompsons are priced like they were collector grade, and true collector grade are priced as investments, not firearms.

So, decide what model you want and give yourself a reasonable time to see one that meets your specifications as to model and condition and also consider what accessories are included and their condition, then bargain for the best deal that you feel is equitable. Be sure to include the cost of travel to see the gun(s) in person as "puffery" has been known to enter into descriptions of firearms as well as autos, real estate, etc. You may end up taking several trips.

Best of luck in your quest, and I hope it turns out well for you.

I would tend to agree with that opinion. I have an original GI M1 and a Colt 1921AC. Both are really nice guns. If you want something to collect and gather money (and maybe dust) get the Colt, either a '21 or a 21/28 overstamp when you find one that's original and not molested if you can. If you want a good shooter that's not a bad value, get the GI M1 or the M1A1. West Hurley's are not the original gun so to speak and they tend to be as expensive or even more so than the older guns.

I would have to vote for one of the early WW II 1928A1models- preferably a Savage- with Lyman sight, finned barrel and Cutts.

You have the classic beauty of a Thompson, it will take a drum and you can shoot the heck out of it with no fear.

Strangely, you very seldom see this model for sale.

DD

"What's the best value" and "What should I buy" are two different questions.

Definitely buy what you like best as opposed to bargain shopping.

And I would advise not to get hung up on finding a deal.

It takes luck to find a real bargain and with NFA weapons it's not a good idea to wait around. It's a seller's market.

Another consideration is the fact that collector items don't come up for sale that often, collectors tend to sit on the really rare and valuable guns for decades.

Edited by buzz

I would have to vote for one of the early WW II 1928A1models- preferably a Savage- with Lyman sight, finned barrel and Cutts.

You have the classic beauty of a Thompson, it will take a drum and you can shoot the heck out of it with no fear.

Strangely, you very seldom see this model for sale.

DD

I have one of those in pending status now, should be approved soon. It's a bit rough, and it's going to need a rebuild, but I only paid 9k for it, and that was this year.

How do you define "value" and what do you like / want? For me at 57 years old, "value" is return on dollars spent today in relation to dollars returned tomorrow. FYI, I do not own safe Queens... my guns go to the range and prrrr for me. So "for me" me is a gun, that I can improve over time by fixing mix matching parts, shoot with an incorrect barrel in the near term, and later reconfigure into a "Safe Queen" for the next collector.

That said, for me; Colt: since the 100 year anniversay is pending in "my" lifetime... One I can shoot now (not correct, but I can improve). Enjoy it for at least 10 years (read no earlier sale than 2024) Pass on to another Collector at a profit, and glad for the times I had, and the legacy I passed on.

We don't own history, we're only stewards of history for the short term.

S/Fi,

Sandman1957

• Upvote 1

Very well said Sandman,

Darryl

I had them all minus the {1919 model} it never did nothing for me.

a 1921a. however I like them all. and nothing is sweeter then having a rack in the gun room you gaze at with every model all in 98% plus cond.along with every known accs.case and drum and magazine and manual..

then it hits you.....................you are not hanging around forever to enjoy them all.

get really what you like,and afford wisely now! and cherish the moment. then move on.

its all a rental agreement anyhow.RON Colt21a

When people ask "what's the best value", they usually mean it in the practical sense, like when they buy a new washer and dryer or something like that.

They're looking for the best materials and workmanship for their dollar.

I don't think the question makes any sense when applied to a collector's item, because a lot of the value of collector items is based on the emotional attachment people have with it.

In that case, since the value is purely subjective and personal, the value is too hard to measure for the question to work.

I'd rather have two nice shooters than one minty Colt, but another guy might feel the exact opposite. There's no right or wrong.

Looking at the question from a practical standpoint I would say a decently priced USGI Thompson is probably the most bang for the buck.

The USGI gun would give you a good running mil-spec Thompson with plenty of collector value.

West Hurleys could possibly be a good value if they are priced low enough, you just have to figure in the cost of the USGI parts and gunsmithing the gun will probably need before you're 100% happy with it.

is it me or does it look a little rough

Yep. I think this one was on another recent auction.

Maybe had a reserve and didn't sell; don't recall.

I do recall seeing the photos before, and thinking The Colors were not an appropriate gun mat.

Backdrop, yes. Mat, no.

Edited by mnshooter

I saw a new in the box with all the accessories a WH 1928 for $19500.00. I may go back on Sunday to see if he sold it.

I saw a lot of AO 100/50 round drums for sale. Some of the 100 rdn. were going for 795.00. I didn't see any of the older ones any where.

I saw several vendors had 22lr for sale at $70.00 per brick. I check in several of the local stores in Indiana and they were

charging $7.95 for a box of 50 22lr. It is was pretty much the same in WV. There was not a lot available in any one place. It looked like everyone at the Creek was having a good time and the rain held off all day. I did not find any supper hot deals on much of any thing. One vendor was selling AR uppers for $250.00 each and one person bought them all. I did get to see Dan at the number 10 vendor spot again this year. Have a good time at the Creek. Charlie Brown

is it me or does it look a little rough

Looks pitted (and thus refinished) on right side of receiver.

Franks always seems to get ALL the money out of each gun but if it sells cheap I might get it as a blaster.

I think that eventually all west hurleys including those commemoratives are going to get a "USGI part and blish slot makeover".

As the price of Thompsons gets higher and higher, the more people are going to want a good running shooter.

The cost for fixing them up isn't that much, only $3k or so, and it's a one time cost.

If you got one of those commemoratives and did a makeover, it would put you at around $17k. Not bad at all.

Edited by buzz