Home Guard Case Study

However, these transit cases bear no resemblance to the transit cases that this post originally refers too.

Lend lease March 1942.jpg

This thread is tittled "Home Guard Case Study", your pic is not of a Home Guard Case. Different but still interesting.

• 2 months later...

There is a chest for sale in the UK at the moment, with a pair of Deactivated Sten MKII SMGs.

Not sure how it has been modified in side, but the markings on the chest do not appear to be original, although novel.

DSC00261.jpg

• Upvote 1

rpbcps,

Thanks for posting this. Pretty cool stuff. I also have not seen that type of Sten cleaning rod before.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

Always a pleasure, the seller has sent me two photos of the inside of the chest, one empty and one loaded. They look like they were purpose built for the two stens, although similar to the M1/M1A1 chest I posted earlier. I won't post here as off topic for Thompsons.

Stay safe

Richard

David, I noticed your case that came from Italy has the two blocks of wood located on the bottom. On the other cases I've observed those blocks are located on the top lid.

Ross,

Which 2 pieces of wood?

David

The two wood pieces approx 3/4" thick X 1" wide that are screwed to the bottom piece of wood on your case. They are visible in your "bottom" picture in the thread.

The majority of British case I've observed have the on the top of the lid outside the hinges.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11386&hl=%2Bhome+%2Bguard+%2Bcases&fromsearch=1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just spotted a transit chest on a Canadian website, which does not have the slots for the drum magazines.

Has anyone come across this variation before?

Richard

tsmg_dx01931.jpg

Just spotted a transit chest on a Canadian website, which does not have the slots for the drum magazines.

Has anyone come across this variation before?

Richard

Richard,

Hope all is well with you in the UK! I've thought about you each time I hear about this crazy effort going on over there to get rid of all the MG's, including deactivated ones...

Very nice find! It's always exciting to see a new (old) item like this. It would be great if we could learn more about it, such as which manufacturer marks are present.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

The chests in question might all have minor modifications as the print was updated in:

3-28-1940

7-18-1940

7- 4-1940

All makers codes and dates were stamped on the right hand edge of the end panel approximately 1/3 from the bottom.

The drums will only fit with the key to the front

Joints were dovetail.

Original stencil has been over-painted on all the chests as the ones shown were all from on batch from Pakistan than came to Canada.

When I get some time I can show what it is.

If anyone is interested, I have some reproduction copies of the chest so PM me if interested.

Stowage is a term for secure storage. All you had to do was remove 4 screws and you could open the chest while the rifle chests had a rivet in place of one screw so you could not do that.

Go figure....only the British.

They are probably locally made ones, as Canada had plenty of timber, of course. Possibly by then the drum was not being procured anymore.

That's why I'd like to determine the manufacturer's mark on the smaller box.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Most Canadian arms chests were made by HCF...

Hill Clark Francis of New Liskeard, Ontario.

I've probably had and played with more of the T gun chests than anyone and most were in a condition that it was hard to determine the maker.

I still have one in the basement and only a couple of numbers away from the one shown, so I will try and find something in a makers name but it will be a UK maker.

The 2 gun chest that surfaced in the UK I have looked at and it is a modern dream chest. When I saw it, it had two Mk. II STEN's jammed in it.

Canada did have lots of timber but we shipped HUGE piles of it to the UK in "billet form" which is sawn and not planned.

Scotland was not nearly clear cut until later in the war.

Richard,

Hope all is well with you in the UK! I've thought about you each time I hear about this crazy effort going on over there to get rid of all the MG's, including deactivated ones...

Very nice find! It's always exciting to see a new (old) item like this. It would be great if we could learn more about it, such as which manufacturer marks are present.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hi David,

All is going well for me thanks, although not in the UK. I am currently in North Africa working since first week in January, so I only have intermittent access to internet.

New EU rules, I heard about them, but I am optimistic they'll have no affect on the UK, at least retrospectivly, as our laws are probably the most draconian in Europe all ready. The proposed laws are in response to the terrorist attacks in Paris, as i read some deactivated parts/ guns were 'reactivated' and were in the attacks.

Due to the nature of the business of terrorists / criminals, they don't abide by the law anyway, as history has shown us, only law abiding citizens are affected by such laws. The bad guys will just find another source, and I read there is no shortage of illegal firearms available in mainland Europe. So my view, not that it counts for much, the EU politicians are 'barking up the wrong tree'.

Indeed, I am so optimistic the proposed EU laws won't affect the UK, at least retrospectively, I have just paid a deposit on an early New York address Savage 1928, perhaps the seller is not as optimistic as me :-)

All the best

Richard

Richard,

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hi David,

All is going well for me thanks, although not in the UK. I am currently in North Africa working since first week in January, so I only have intermittent access to internet.

New EU rules, I heard about them, but I am optimistic they'll have no affect on the UK, at least retrospectivly, as our laws are probably the most draconian in Europe all ready. The proposed laws are in response to the terrorist attacks in Paris, as i read some deactivated parts/ guns were 'reactivated' and were in the attacks.

Due to the nature of the business of terrorists / criminals, they don't abide by the law anyway, as history has shown us, only law abiding citizens are affected by such laws. The bad guys will just find another source, and I read there is no shortage of illegal firearms available in mainland Europe. So my view, not that it counts for much, the EU politicians are 'barking up the wrong tree'.

Indeed, I am so optimistic the proposed EU laws won't affect the UK, at least retrospectively, I have just paid a deposit on an early New York address Savage 1928, perhaps the seller is not as optimistic as me :-)

All the best

Richard

Richard,

I hope you're able to return to your family soon. I know you do long work stints in North Africa. Stay safe. Glad to hear you bought an early Savage, and of course, we want to see pictures when you get it!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 1 year later...

The Royal Armouries in the UK have an original set of drawings for the Thompson Transit chest, and you can buy scanned copies from them for £5 a piece.

There are five drawings all together, two sheets for the original transit chest design for the gun and magazines and three drawings for different designs for converting the original chest to store magazines only, dated Feb 1941, March 1941 and April 1941 respectively. The proposed conversions of the chests, probably came as a result of the Thompson guns changing from unit weapon to personal weapons status.

With not being in work for a while I have held off making a purchase, but having just spent two weeks in Burkina Faso followed by two weeks in Algeria during October, I thought the time had come to treat myself and I am pleased I did.

The scans are excellent quality, in TIFF format and over 50MB each, too big to post!

​Stay safe

Richard

Through the courtesy of Mr I Patrick, I was supplied with the following list of Thompson-related drawings which he has found reference to while he was researching his own interests. Not all of these have been located in the archive so far and some may have vanished.

http://www.fototime.com/E5A953A1C521BC4/large.jpg

Students should note that copyright of the images of any drawings supplied remains vested in the Trustees of the Royal Armouries - this is a common practice with public institutions here, in contrast with the US Nat Archives which makes their material available for free use with only a nominal charge for converting it into the media format of your choice.