I figured since we have tons of information listed on these boards for most of the other WWII US SMG's, why not a little discussion on the UD M42, one of the best SMG's to come out of WWII on the Allied side. Any thoughts on this fine piece of machinery?

I was actually just offered one for sale, although the owner doesn't have a real price on it, wants to trade for stuff (and it's hard stuff to find). gun has an even patina overall but is sharp with a perfect bore and no pitting anywhere. any thoughts as to the value?

I figured since we have tons of information listed on these boards for most of the other WWII US SMG's, why not a little discussion on the UD M42, one of the best SMG's to come out of WWII on the Allied side. Any thoughts on this fine piece of machinery?

I was actually just offered one for sale, although the owner doesn't have a real price on it, wants to trade for stuff (and it's hard stuff to find). gun has an even patina overall but is sharp with a perfect bore and no pitting anywhere. any thoughts as to the value?

i agree , i realy love the ud it is a fantastic shooter

A UD in excellent condition with 95% finish, etc might top $20k but doubtfully for the one that you describe, and also cnsidering the curent economic mudhole. Of course, it only takes one person to pay the price even if it is above market......

They are very well made and nicely finished SMG, but a bit weird to shoot from the shoulder with the forward pistol grip. About ten or twelve years ago more than half a dozen registered UDs hit the market, which came from the Berkely, WV PD and had ID decals of the PD on the stocks. These disappeared quite quickly at $7k apiece, and I was glad to acquire one at the time. From what I have heard, some 40 or more of these guns also were imported by Interarms in the sixties, probably destined for PDs, and, fortunately, they were registered. I suspect that the Berkely PD guns might have been from that import. Several of the importers bringing in MGs in the fifites for DEWATing had an unknown number of UDs that they advertised. Anyway, there are not a lot of them in the NFRTR.

As far as a special page devoted to UDs, there isn't a whole lot to be said about them that can't be included in a broader SMG page.

Bob Naess

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

A UD in excellent condition with 95% finish, etc might top $20k but doubtfully for the one that you describe, and also cnsidering the curent economic mudhole. Of course, it only takes one person to pay the price even if it is above market......

They are very well made and nicely finished SMG, but a bit weird to shoot from the shoulder with the forward pistol grip. About ten or twelve years ago more than half a dozen registered UDs hit the market, which came from the Berkely, WV PD and had ID decals of the PD on the stocks. These disappeared quite quickly at $7k apiece, and I was glad to acquire one at the time. From what I have heard, some 40 or more of these guns also were imported by Interarms in the sixties, probably destined for PDs, and, fortunately, they were registered. I suspect that the Berkely PD guns might have been from that import. Several of the importers bringing in MGs in the fifites for DEWATing had an unknown number of UDs that they advertised. Anyway, there are not a lot of them in the NFRTR.

As far as a special page devoted to UDs, there isn't awhwole lot to be said about them that can't be included in a broader SMG page.

Bob Naess

I have thought about adding a UD-M42 page on this board, since I have some rare original paperwork for the weapon, and it's a really neat SMG to shoot. It also fits in nicely with the other weapons covered here. I'm not sure if it would get much attention if I created a page...what does everyone think?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com