Pre-86 Conversions

I have an opportunity to purchase a pre-86 Auto-Ordinance Korean War commemorative and I would like to know if anyone could tell what conversions are legal on this vintage. Can I convert it to a short barrel, detachable stock, full-auto, ect. Another question would be is it even possible to be some of the conversions. As you can tell I’m very new too this and would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

doubletap-

Good to have you on board. When you use the term pre-86, it could add a little confusion as to what you have. From the sound of your question, I'm assuming this is not a dealer sample. Those are referred to by terms, "pre" or "post," and there are different rules for owning those firearms.

In answer to your questions, yes you can do a short barrel and detachable stock, if your state allows it. Be sure to determine that before you invest time and money. For the short barrel or SBR, you will need to submit ATF form 1 "to make and register a firearm," requiring sheriff's signature (or equivalent), fingerprints, citizenship declaration form, with $200 transfer tax, everything usually takes 3 or 4 months. Barrel changes on Thompson usually require a competent Thompson smith.

The only way you can do an auto conversion is to purchase the registered conversion kit. That also requires a registration and transfer, everything above, except on ATF form 4. I think it is safe to say, the conversion kits are rare and cost thousands. For a little more, you could just purchase a full-auto West Hurley. Like the SBR, not all states allow full auto.

"I think it is safe to say, the conversion kits are rare and cost thousands. For a little more, you could just purchase a full-auto West Hurley." I don't consider 6K a little more, 5K if you throw in the buying the semi gun and a little smithing..... YMMV

Just to add...

The only conversion, I assume you mean to full auto, that I know of is the registered firing pin that replaces the semiauto one. There were 10 available... Norm has one, I have one, and another member here has three I believe..... Although not inexpensive, I paid $4.5K for mine, they are much cheaper than even a full auto West Hurley..... Nick out of Texas sold them, and mine was the last one he had... So they are all in individual hands at the moment.... Here is the link to Nick's web site it is item #961028-92.......

http://www.westernfirearms.com/0/wfc/thompson/proofs/11/100.jpg

Thanks for the reply's guys and let me try and clear the air on what I meant.

Sgt, you are correct this is not a dealer sample by any means. It is a fully functional SA for civilian use without any permits or transfer fees. The only reason I said pre-86 is because the serial number reflects a 1984 manufacturing date and I knew there was something about production dates prior to the 1986 fed firearms laws that potentially made certian changes legal. If I am misinformed on this, please correct me as the last thing I need is 10 yrs at club fed.

So, maybe the SBR is ok if MI allows it, but any other conversion is probably a no-no.

Big Daddy--

Yea, you may be right. I thought they were a lot more by today's prices.

To my knowledge, the long barrel Thompsons weren't ever defined as an Assault Weapon. Therefore, no one felt the need to designate them as pre or post ban, like the AR-15. Adding the detachable stock was not considered the same as a folding or collapsible stock, so it didn't add to the evil parts as defined by that law. Anyway, since that legislation has expired, it is a moot point for now. However, you were wise to ask the question.

QUOTE (doubletap @ Mar 11 2005, 03:22 PM)
Thanks for the reply's guys and let me try and clear the air on what I meant.

Sgt, you are correct this is not a dealer sample by any means. It is a fully functional SA for civilian use without any permits or transfer fees. The only reason I said pre-86 is because the serial number reflects a 1984 manufacturing date and I knew there was something about production dates prior to the 1986 fed firearms laws that potentially made certian changes legal. If I am misinformed on this, please correct me as the last thing I need is 10 yrs at club fed.

So, maybe the SBR is ok if MI allows it, but any other conversion is probably a no-no.

double,

That's why you come here so you don't have to be pickin up the soap that bubba drops.... The dates on semi guns don't really mean anything other than who manufactured the gun. If you have not purchased yet, hang around here a bit and you will pick up on prices or even buy a gun off the board... I've bought two here... Real nice guns at fair prices.....

Sgt

I think you were thinkin of the one that was for sale as a complete gun on subguns or where ever it was don't know if they got their price or not..... and as far as I'm concerned I think Norm's gun is worth more than a run of the mill Westy......

You are absolutely correct, Big Daddy. I guess the price of the complete gun did stick in my mind. You can definitely make them very special like Norm's gun, having nice markings and the works. Yea, that was sweet! I was also considering doubletap's suggestion of using a commemorative. I think if I were going to put that much work in it, I would go the route of Norm, rather than to alter a commemorative. Of course, people like different things. Good points!