Lyman "L" sight

Has cutts no finned barrel

Park finish looks very good

Said to belong to GA FBI

Marked: US Model 1928AC

NO AO 95636X

Is this a Navy gun?

What does the X mean after the ser #?

Asking price is $19,500.00, is this about right for this gun?

I can email pictures to those who would like to take a look.

Thanks gunrunner

Hi,

The FBI wouldn't have transferred any guns into civilliam channels. In addition, many of their guns may not have even been registered with the NFA Branch. The reason for this is because it isn't illegal for law enforcement agencies to possess fully automatic weapons, even if they aren't registered with the NFA Branch. If it isn't registered, it just cannot be transferred.

My guess would be that the gun belonged to a Georgia law enforcement agency, such as the State Police, for example. Many states used to refer to their state police agencies as Bureaus of Investigation. I seriously doubt that it would have come from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. They destroyed most of their Thompsons years ago and didn't let them into private channels.

Many of the Auto-Ordnance made guns, like the ones you describe, i.e. fixed L sight, smooth barrel, X stamped after serial number, US ground off and C stamped over 1, were sold to law enforcement agencies post WWII. They were originally all 1928A1 Thompsons made during WWII. In many cases they were rebuilt and refinished, hence ,the X stamp and ground off US designation.

I work for a federal agency that had several of these guns, obtained after WWII, that were parkerized and had a mix of parts on them. The most commonly seen are the type you describe and in all cases (at least that I am aware of) are all Auto-Ordnance made guns.

PhilOhio has one of these guns and has a different perspective on their origins than I do. I don't know for sure if anyone has the definitive answer on these law enforcement guns with the X suffix. Frank Iannamico covers them pretty well in his book. Pick up a copy and make your own conclusions.

Oh, in regards to the Navy question, no, they are not Navy guns. They are almost universally previously owned law enforcement agency guns.

This is my opinion on the matter, I'm sure others have different opinions and will chime-in.

QUOTE (gijive @ Jan 12 2005, 12:03 PM)

My guess would be that the gun belonged to a Georgia law enforcement agency, such as the State Police, for example.  Many states used to refer to their state police agencies as Bureaus of Investigation.  I seriously doubt that it would have come from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.  They destroyed most of their Thompsons years ago and didn't let them into private channels.

You are correct ,he did say "GA Bureaus of Investigation". I thought he ment Federal Bureau of Investigation. Thank you for the clearing that up.

Gunrunner

Exactly... Georgia's State Investigative body is the "GBI" (you can figger it out) Every state I think has a similar LEO. South Carolina's is SLED, ( South Carolina Law Enforcement Division)

This should clear it all up.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif