I have some .510 powder coated, tempered hardcast lead 890gr RNFP-GC bullets that a couple people have had quite nice results with, cast from an NOE mold. I would very much like to have a several more people try them out and let me know what load works best for them. If you are interested in helping me out, please let me know and I'll send some to you.

https://www.robsbullets.com/store/p35/.510_890gr_LFN-GC_hardcast_powder_coated_bullet_for_50BMG.html#/

That sounds really interesting. Have you seen any issues with the projectiles coming apart?

• 11 months later...

At the risk of resurrecting an ancient thread:

I finally got back to playing with the Barrett. I'm still taking copper fouling from previous owners out of the barrel but I'm getting closer to clean. Montana Xtreme Copper Killer and Copper Cream have peeled blue layer after black layer after blue layer after black layer and It's still coming.

I worked up a pretty decent load: 750 Lehigh match solid, 220.0 gr. of Vihtavouri 24N41. I'm getting right at 1.25 MOA with no fliers. Not quite hitting my 1 MOA goal but close. The groups kept getting tighter the more powder I added but Vihtavouri's max load for this bullet is 224.4 so I'm basically done with that direction. I'll play with seating depth but I don't expect to find 0.25 MOA that way.

FWIW since I've implemented the blast shield I talked about in this thread: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24541 I've had to revise my estimate of the recoil level. A lot of the impact that I assumed to be muzzle blast has turned out to be recoil because it's still there once the blast has been deflected. It's brutal, beyond .338WM brutal. I've set a daily limit of 12 rounds, 1 or 2 foulers followed by 10 "for record."

Now I understand why Barrett sells so many M82s and m107s :blink:

Yep , as I've said , after one afternoon of being pushed around my bench by a single shot 50 i knew it was not my cup of tea . Not painful , but not a a lot of fun .

Bought a M82A1 long barrel and it's been fun . Usually 50 rounds or more target grouping then some more at 1500 - 2000 yard plinking with spotter / tracer .

Took it out last winter to actually sight it in . The heavy spotter / tracer Talon shot about 18 inches at 100 yards ! Blew both legs off my target stand . Funny thing is the two foot rock at 550 yards was hit every time after adjusting from the first shot and the big truck size rock at 1500 could be hit in the "radiator " , "cab " or just over the top into a cave on demand . Can't explain or wrap my head around this .

Had a 10 round mag of 1941 APIT French ammo ( why they would be making such a thing is beyond me , but the head stamps are clear ) that I tried out while I was there . Shot 5 rounds into the 100 yard destroyed target to sight her in , then went to the fresh 200 yard target . Had one FTF at 100 and one at 200 ( bad primers ) . The first shot at 200 went into the 9-ring at 11 on a Birchwood Casey 5-1/2 stick on . Adjusted an put the 2nd into the X . Went back and shot the last two to confirm and put both into the 8 ring at 5 and 6 .

So they can shoot , too .

Splitting the recoil control between the brake blast and the action means that neither the ears nor the shoulder takes a beating . I do wear plugs and muffs , however .

Chris

PS I've had maybe 20-30 people shoot my Barrett , experienced shooters , new ones , adults , skinny teenagers , small women , big men , GI surplus in all . No one did not smile and no one turned a second ( or third or fourth ....)

• 1 month later...

Switched to Gunslick foam alternating with Shooter's Choice and took a ton more copper out of the barrel. took me almost 3 weeks of daily scrubbing to get down to steel.

The aforementioned 220 gr. of 24N41 with a Lehigh 750 shot 0.98 MOA at 300 yards. A slightly lesser load of 217.5 made 0.94 MOA. The dispersion in both was mostly horizontal and I could see horizontal movement in the scope from my heartbeat. Got to work on that whole cardiac pause thing, I'll bet I can find another 0.25 MOA if I do.

Back to pulling blue goo out of the barrel. Once I get it clean I'm going to see how they do at 600. Don't have access to any ranges longer than that

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this will sound odd, but the GI ball I shoot out of my AR50 is not that accurate (yes I can hit a 15 inch plate at 300 yards) but when I started using AP/API and Tracer, the accuracy SEEMED so much better. Maybe its just me, because to me hitting anything (close or that far away) with a .50 BMG is devastating.

Stefan,

I changed cleaners to Bore Tech Eliminator, CU+2 and Chameleon gel. Took more cleaning cycles than I care to relate but I took out stuff I had missed before and finally got down to steel. Pretty clear that this is going to be an ongoing issue but I have since talked with Bob the techie at Bore Tech and he gave me some pointers that will shorten and simplify the process in the future. I'm sold on Bore Tech for this rifle and probably most of my others as well. I'll use up the balance of my other cleaners on pistol caliber stuff.

Anyway, back to shooting results:

750 Lehigh Match solid and 217.5 of Viht 29N41 gave me a 5" 5-shot group at 600 including a called flyer. The other 4 rounds went into 2-1/4". The same session also yielded a somewhat less impressive 3-1/2" group at 300 which was a 2" 3 shot cluster and another 1" pair 3" away at 9:00, due entirely my issues with doping out the cardiac pause. Should mention that I was shooting off the bipod and rear monopod not off bags

The Barrett shoots WAY better than I ever will, ditto for the Lehigh Match Solids

Rekraps,

I'm not surprised that tracer is more accurate. As we've theorized ball ammo is probably designed to disperse a little, since it makes little sense for an MG to put everything in the same hole. Tracers on the other hand should go straight into the center of the pattern.

• 1 year later...

I have been using the same load data as for a jacketed bullet (90% max load) for all my powder coated bullets, including 50BMG. The powder coat seems to replace the jacket really well. Very slick down the bore with no fouling and I have not seen any issues with bullets flying apart below 3200fps - a nice single round hole at all distances. My 22 cal powder coated bullets run great up to 3200fps. At 3400fps from a 22-250 I get a black cloud about 10 feet in front of the muzzle - the powder coating cannot hold the lead bullet together like a regular jacket does at those high spin rates. I don't use gas checks on anything except 50BMG anymore with powder coated bullets and that is just habit for that. I use a 95% gloss powder coat from powderbuythepound.com (super durable series). Completely protects the bullet from hot gasses and completely protects the bore from the lead. Once the powder coat is melted in the powder coating process it cannot melt any more so no issues with friction in the barrel. The high gloss powder coating is actually more "slick" (less friction) down the barrel than jacketed bullets and I typically get faster ~50fps velocity in pistols and ~100fps faster velocity in rifles than identical load with a jacketed bullet. I switched from low-gloss powder coatings for this reason and no longer use those. Just some observations. robsbullets.com

510 650rf black 1.jpg

510 890 black red.jpg