Thompson Drums

Howdy guys....need some help here....does anyone have any pics of the L drum?? inside and out...need good pics to see what mines missing...i'm new to drums..so i'll need some help....i don't think its missing much....any help would be great...Thx

PS...ALL the thompson parts should be here monday and/or tuesday

Here's the inside of two of my "L" drums. First is a WH "L" and the other is the Bridgeport.Click on the underlined and it will take you to a larger photo.

http://mikesmachineguns.homestead.com/files/50rd_Inside1.JPG http://mikesmachineguns.homestead.com/files/1Bridgeport_insides.jpg

West Hurley 50 round "L" Drum

Bridgeport "L" Drum insides

The photo of the drum reflects there is no hole in the center of the shaft, but a tit sticking up like a late AO drum. What makes you think its a Bridgeport?

i was told by the guy it came from that it was missing most of the internals...when it got here...its complete!! all thats missing is the key.....its an AO bridgeport L drum in great shape....

theres no pics of my drum posted..mine is a bridgeport "L" for 1928..stamped all over it...i bought me a new key from kahr..20 something bucks...i'll find an original key cheaper than sarco has them....so far i've got 20 something bucks in my drum..lol....

Your $20 Kahr key may not work.

There are two different rotor shafts and key arrangements. The new production drums use a solid rotor shaft with a male projection to engage the key, the old ones use a hollow shaft, female socket to engage the key.

PK is right - the key Kahr sells for $ 20.00 is not the key that fits the non-Kahr or early AO drums.

That's the reason Sarco is able to get $99.95 for their keys. The Kahr key will go on - and hold nothing! Just wait till you start to fire the gun.. the key falls off. I went thru the same thing, Kahr will lie to you and say they fit, and they do - just don't hold the cover on the drum.

I tried to purchase early keys from Kahr sometime ago and they sent me the same thing.

All is not lost however - I have had 2 kahr keys converted into the old style. You can turn a stud that will fit into the current hole in the Karh key and peen the back side. Works and is cheaper. Done right will look good.

well....this should raise some questions..lol..i got my new kahr key today...it works great on my drum...its nice and tight..but does have a hole like you guys said...the spring on the key is very strong and holds the key to the drum very tight..i might be wrong but i don't think it'll fall off..its kinda hard to even pull it off by hand....i'd guess that after the spring loses a little of its "spring" that it might indeed fall off....but as stated in a reply a little back..it could easily have a pin installed in the hole...matter of fact..i have some small short.. round headed hardened type screws with little lock nuts that will fit right in the hole of the key and the head of the screw will fit just in the hole in the drum shaft....nice and neat..small..and no mods...still gonna find me an original key for my drum though...just for value and collection reasons