Tips On Thomson Mag Release

When shooting a M1 or "28A1 find that have to leave go of the grip with my right hand and rotate to the left side, so that I can reach the mag release.

Using my left hand works, but is still a long reach for removing the mag.

Intertest in any tips or recommendations (might be just too short of fingers and/or getting old).

Assume shooting right handed.

Bring left hand back from foregrip and wrap fingers around upper part of magazine.

Raise left thumb and push up on center of magazine release,

just in front of or above the trigger, not all the way back at the checkered pad,

pull magazine down and out with fingers.

Edited by Wayne W

QUOTE (Wayne W @ Feb 9 2005, 01:04 AM)
Assume shooting right handed.

Bring left hand back from foregrip and wrap fingers around upper part of magazine.
Raise left thumb and push up on center of magazine release,
just in front of or above the trigger, not all the way back at the checkered pad,
pull magazine down and out with fingers.

Thanks!

.... knew that had to be a better way than hanging by my thumbs each night to streach them http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I find it easiest to push the mag catch toward the rear right there at the magazine while gripping the magazine with the fingers. This works well with a '28 style mag catch (like mine) might not work with a correct, flat M1/M1A1 mag catch.

I have yet to find a graceful way to change a drum mag (yes, mine's FA).

QUOTE (JTinIN @ Feb 8 2005, 11:53 PM)
When shooting a M1 or "28A1 find that have to leave go of the grip with my right hand and rotate to the left side, so that I can reach the mag release.

Intertest in any tips or recommendations (might be just too short of fingers and/or getting old).

Do you get into firefights often with the TSMG?

I am not sure I understand the question. Can you clarify for us?

I generally lower the Thompson to about hip high and turn it 90 degrees and hit the mag release with my right thumb.

The left hand pulls the mag out and inserts a new one. I generally do this about 30 or so times when I go to the range. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Feb 9 2005, 11:07 PM)
There's also the big toe magazine release actuation method (BTMRAM), but it's easy to lose your balance while standing on just your right leg. And in that case you also want to be sure the magazine is empty before you try it, or lead can fly in every direction if your toe misses the release and gets stuck in the trigger guard. This works better with the XX and XXX mags than with the "L" drum. It's also easy to stub a toe on that fat drum.

Worst of all, some complain that BTMRAM (often mispronounced "bottom ram") is uncomfortable in cold weather, especially in deep snow.

It's just not very tactical.

There was a Colt accessory, made in small numbers for a very short time, which was a sort of wide, knurled steel ring that came in 12 different sizes to fit different big toes. This makes a very big difference, if you can still find one (typically around $1,700), because the knurling is the same size and pattern as that on the mag release, which it is supposed to engage. You really need this, if you can find one in the right size and for a fair price price, because you have to hit that release and trip it positively on the first kick, or you may fall down, look silly, and have others at the range wonder what is going on. And that most certainly does not look very tactical, no matter how correct your sling is.

Remember, though, you can't pay too much...just too early.

The military never adopted these toe rings on any theater-wide basis, feeling they would have to stock too many sizes. And there were some other problems, in those days before the quick release boot. They did some limited scale field testing in France, near Paris, right after the war. But they had to cut it short, so to speak, because some G.I.'s were misusing these large knurled steel rings, in connection, you might say, with other parts of the anatomy, which lead to unwanted friction within the local community. It would be inaccurate to say that the French were tickled with the concept. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Phil, I think you got to much time on your hands tonight. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

QUOTE (John Jr @ Feb 9 2005, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (JTinIN @ Feb 8 2005, 11:53 PM)

Do you get into firefights often with the TSMG?

I am not sure I understand the question. Can you clarify for us?

No fire fights http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

But have been around the guys that put on the Indiana Sub Machinegun Championship each year and thus have started shooting steel targets ... so need to keep the mag change smooth and fairly quick (at least for an old guy like myself).

Have a couple of monthly outings were run one or more courses for time and each course typically has a couple of mag changes with the clock running.

Couple of good ideas to try when the weather warms up.

You might try removing the magazine catch altogether and hold a 30 round stick in place in order to replace the foregrip. This way, when your done with a mag you just reach for another one. It would probably only work with a 30 rounder and then would require some practice, but it could work. The weight of the TSMG could help you out this way.

Good luck.

Jr

(one quick edit... If you have an extra lower lying around just leave the mag catch off altogether and just use that lower for the matches)