Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1256 posts
  • Interests:Submachinegun NFA collecting
    History
    Scuba Diving
    Hunting

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:50 PM

Gents, Just had a Post Office refuse to accept a Thompson from the seller to me.  The seller is not familiar with all this and I told her to go home and I would send more info and she can go back to a different post office on another day.  I plan to go to the Post Office where I live, and ask to see their regs so I can look it up, Take a photo of it, and send them to the seller, so she can have that info handy.

She did have a copy of my FFL-03.  Also had a copy inside the package.

For clarification she is a private citizen, Not a dealer, nor am I.  However I do have a FFL-03 Curio and Relics Collector.

By chance does anyone here has Chapter and Verse on the regulation already?

Thanks in advance,

Sandman1957

Edited by Sandman1957, 22 February 2021 - 10:30 PM.

#2 inertord

inertord

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:18 PM

Keep hitting the Next Button at bottom of page(s):

https://pe.usps.com/...pub52c4_008.htm

#3 Robert Henley

Robert Henley

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1059 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Benefactor
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida
    The American Thompson Association

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:07 PM

It's been several years ago, but I recall some discussion on the Board about shipping a handgun versus a rifle.  As I recall, the barrel of a Thompson fell into the handgun category.  Further, some discussion about only dealers could ship handguns via the USPS.

Based on the above, I had a C&R Beretta 38/42 shipped to me via FedEx a number of years ago from a private seller (it was around the same time as the above noted post).

My memory is somewhat vague on the specific details because it's been awhile, but I do remember having the above noted gun shipped to me via FedEx because of the issue.

Perhaps if you search the Board it will pop up.  If I get a chance I may look back just out of curiosity.

Robert

#4 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1425 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:09 PM

If sending registered Mail The entire package has to be covered in brown paper tape so they can put postmarks all over it. That way they can tell if its been tampered with. One advantage to registered mail is the amount of insurance that is included. 

Many POs don't know their own procedures for mailing firearms.

#5 Robert Henley

Robert Henley

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1059 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Benefactor
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida
    The American Thompson Association

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:16 PM

I believe the following link was the thread I was recalling:

Shipping NFA? - Class III Forum - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

I didn't re-read it all but there may be something noteworthy in it if you're researching the issue.  I do recall that RT updated the FedEx insurance amount on the Board FAQ page (which you might want to study too if you haven't already).

Edit Addition: See the Browsin post in the thread.

Edited by Robert Henley, 22 February 2021 - 08:19 PM.

#6 Sandman1957

Sandman1957

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1256 posts
    History
    Scuba Diving
    Hunting

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:20 PM

The Lone Ranger summed it up best:  My comments in RED
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  Begin The Lone Ranger Comments--------------------------------------------------------------------

GCA/NFA definitions are irrelevant for postal regulations - two completely different realms and not interchangeable.  USPS does not address Machineguns.  They say who can ship pistols,  FFL Dealers etc... Rifles and shotguns to themselves or to FFL - Dealers, C&Rs to C&Rs.  (which excludes Non C&Rs to ship a C&R firearm to a licensed C&R???) 

I am puzzled at how a 16 in barreled Thompson is a rifle but a 10.5 in barreled Thompson is not a short barreled rifle using the postal definitions. I couldn't find anything that exempted a firearm from the definition of SBS/SBR based on it's firing mechanism. (Obviously that doesn't mean said exemption isn't there - I just can't see it). Based on that premise, a full auto MAC (shoulder stocked) is not "concealable" due to firing more than one shot with a single function of the trigger, correct?

I wouldn't worry so much about prosecution as refusal to reimburse for damage, theft, or loss. If you fully inform the employee as to what you are shipping and the shipment is processed, seems like your "intent" to commit a violation is questionable. If you tell the employee the package contains tractor parts when it has a concealable firearm that is otherwise not mailable that could be problematic.  My experience is some Post Offices have shipped Thompson's to me and for me, and others have not.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     End The Lone Ranger Comments      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I have not had problems with USPS for the most part, I am concerned about the implying its a long gun.  Government bureaucracy at its finest.  BATFE rules and regs are not followed by the USPS.  Although the USPS does mention NFA, it does not recognize it in their categories that can be mailed.  Although some Post Offices regularly do ship them!!  

Edited by Sandman1957, 22 February 2021 - 10:32 PM.

#7 RoscoeTurner

RoscoeTurner

Respected Member

• 3188 posts
  • Interests:WWII Military Thompsons
    WWII Browning Automatic Rifles
    Russian M1910 Maxims
    Vickers
    01/SOT

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:47 AM

Be sure to ask for registered Priority Mail which provides for a greater amount of insurance over standard registered mail.

https://www.staples..../product_468231

#8 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1425 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:51 AM

My text does say brown paper tape, not brown paper...

#9 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:54 AM

When asked to declare contents for a registered mail class 3 shipment, I just put "antique firearm" or "firearms parts". I've never had a machinegun shipment refused. Right, heavy cardboard with paper tapes that will accept anti-tampering stamps. 

Edited by TSMGguy, 23 February 2021 - 12:08 PM.

#10 RoscoeTurner

RoscoeTurner

Respected Member

• 3188 posts
  • Interests:WWII Military Thompsons
    WWII Browning Automatic Rifles
    Russian M1910 Maxims
    Vickers
    01/SOT

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:02 AM

My text does say brown paper tape, not brown paper...

Sorry, was in a hurry and misread it.

#11 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1084 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:03 PM

My experience with a USPS claim on a firearm is that not only do they not pay them, they wouldn't even refund the shipping after atf retrieved it from the postal police since it only made it half way before being stolen.  ATF uses fedex......and laughed when I brought up completing the shipment via USPS.

Priority registered may increase your insurance, but it has no effect on delivery speed which in good times takes 5-8 business days for 800 mi.    These days I have no idea?  Got a priority box yesterday that said delivery guaranteed by  2/16.  

Shipped a shotgun priority last week. Delivery was supposed to be Friday (3 day priority), but it showed up today.   Buyers request.

Get an account with a legitimate shipper and do return shipments next day or second day and if your an ffl look into having your bus. policy cover the insurance.  RIA and other auction houses sometimes use private couriers, fedex and ups.

#12 Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Engines, Tractors(old, rusty is better), mechanisms, and the occasional MG

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:04 PM

Hi All,

FWIW, from my read USPS doesn't care what you call it.  USPS doesn't care what BATF calls it.  If it falls under USPS readily concealable per USPS rules you can't ship it w/o an FFL.  USPS does not recognize a C&R Collectors License as an FFL.

I've wanted to ship Thompsons USPS Registered & Insured but have ended up paying a bunch for FedEx.  M16's & other non concealable (by USPS rules) have shipped w/o a hitch.

I've been wrong before.  May be wrong again.

Always learning,

Grasshopper

#13 Sandman1957

Sandman1957

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1256 posts
    History
    Scuba Diving
    Hunting

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:00 AM

FEDEX it is,  This is Sandy Jones' (OCM) "Whitey Bulger" gun.  Don't want Karen Jumping through anymore hoops.  We need to update the pinned info that more clearly states what USPS says.

For Individuals (Non-FFL Manufacturers, Dealers, Govt agencies and certain cases Military)

1.  They DO NOT ALLOW Machineguns, only pistols by FFL Manufacturers, Dealers, Govt agencies and certain cases Military. NONE BY individuals, unless being shipped to one of the above categories.

2.  The DO ALLOW Shotguns and Rifles, but NOT SBRs, SBSs.

3.  Telling them a Machinegun is a "long gun" can put you at risk for breaking Postal Regulations.  Which in today's climate is much more likely to have a bad outcome.  My opinion only: At a minimum, seizure of the NFA item and likely prosecution.

This is how I have shipped in the "Past" with assurance from the local Post Office it was ok, I told them exactly what was being shipped.  First time I've had drama, but per their regulations it looks like the Post Masters were being generous at the local level.

Edited by Sandman1957, 24 February 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#14 CaribRadDoc

CaribRadDoc

• Board Benefactor
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Automatic Weapons, Jiu-Jitsu

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

Sandman,

I'm happy that you are finally going to have a Colt Back in your Stable, and a unique one at that!  I know you haven't been able to sleep soundly at night since April, when you let your last one go to a good home!

Cheers,

Andy