Bought a Aero special edition M5E1 for my next project. Betsy Ross edition. I got plenty of time to think about it, but for now I can't decide whether to build it in .308 or .260 Rem. It will probably be a year before it is finished anyway.

IMG_20170721_080717.jpg

IMG_20170721_080651.jpg

Any thoughts?

Andrew

• Upvote 1

That's awesome, I really like some of the patriotic themed stuff. I built a 308 last year, SS barrel, Aeroprecision upper and hand guard etc. Super nice gun, pretty heavy with the scope so I guess it would be more of a sniper rifle, I couldn't imagine carrying it all day. It was a leaning experience because of the DPMS vs other variants compatibility issue, I'm glad I read up before ordering parts.

That's awesome, I really like some of the patriotic themed stuff. I built a 308 last year, SS barrel, Aeroprecision upper and hand guard etc. Super nice gun, pretty heavy with the scope so I guess it would be more of a sniper rifle, I couldn't imagine carrying it all day. It was a leaning experience because of the DPMS vs other variants compatibility issue, I'm glad I read up before ordering parts.

Yeah, I've been doing a bit of research over the past year or so. DPMS seems to be a little more common. The Cerakote job on this thing is sweet, I plan on having rail accessories, and other small parts done by the same guy.

I plan on putting some pretty premium parts in it and making it a real precision rifle. Like a Proof barrel and LANTAC bolt, SLR adjustable titanium gas block to name a few. I know it doesn't compare to class 3, but it will probably be close or over $5,000 by the time I'm done. But that is the beauty of building it piece by piece.

Andrew

If my memory is correct I built mine with a 18" JP barrel and bolt. Being a bit of a newb I chose a not as common diameter barrel then had a heck of a time finding a stainless gas block and brake. The build was all FDE and stainless. I checked the headspace and all is well but I haven't even got to test fire it yet, haven't been shooting in a good while. I think I like the building more than the shooting.

Yeah, I've been doing a bit of research over the past year or so. DPMS seems to be a little more common. The Cerakote job on this thing is sweet, I plan on having rail accessories, and other small parts done by the same guy.

I plan on putting some pretty premium parts in it and making it a real precision rifle. Like a Proof barrel and LANTAC bolt, SLR adjustable titanium gas block to name a few. I know it doesn't compare to class 3, but it will probably be close or over $5,000 by the time I'm done. But that is the beauty of building it piece by piece.

Andrew

...haven't been shooting in a good while. I think I like the building more than the shooting.

The last time I shot anything was the 4th. It seems I've been working on one vehicle or another about every night for the past month. And yes, the choosing parts and making the build is definitely at least half the fun. I'll definitely post pictures and a range report once it is complete, but that will be a while.

Andrew