Mp40 on GB Stemple/Erma

The photos are not particularly detailed but an in person inspection would tell the tale. I see no red flags in the photos. Looks like the grip frame was hit by a nearly spent small arms bullet or piece of shrapnel, so I'd expect for at least one grip to be a replacement, maybe both. By 1943 Erma was no longer stamping grip plates with their E/280 stamp.

Edited by TSMGguy

Mr. Stemple was just following the rules. The ATF considers a reactivated weapon a remanufacture. What he did is not out of the ordinary.

He was a class 2 manufacturer at the time and most likely just followed the ATF guidelines.

Look it up for yourself.

There have been a few guys on he board, that have come across similar situations. If the paperwork is correct, as it seems to be, based on the sellers Amnesty registration information.

Get a cool ATF agent to make a phone call to the NFA. Sure beats all the red tape that one has to go through to get some body to look it up.

We have gone that route before. Have a good relationship with your compliance agent or local field office. It could be in your favor.

With all the inconsistencies with the transfer paperwork, from one owner to another. The seller did the prudent thing and made the call.

With the Stemple stamp. It does decrease the value some for some potential buyers.

Most of the WWII Amnesty NFA registered weapons were made unserviceable, per the program that was in place after the war trophy program of 1946. That has been our experience over the years. We have purchased many from people in CA.

Be willing to bet, that the deactivation, consisted of a barrel plugged with a steel weld and the barrel welded to the receiver.

That was the standard. Some were deactivated better than others as the ATT agents supervising the process, were not MG experts...

I would add that a "reactivation" is not a "remanufacture". Under ATF's expansive definition of "making" which is what a reactivation is, "making" is considered "manufacturing". Now, a reactivated registered DEWAT always remains listed on the registration with the name of the factory that manufactured it originally, or its country or origin or any of a thousand different designations, but the designation listed on original registration does not change after reactivation. What this means is that the person doing the reactivation did not "manufacture" or "remanufacture" the MG. If they actually "manufactured" it, their ID and address would be required to be the only info in the box. But because "making" is determined to be a form of "manufacturing" by ATF, a reactivated DEWAT requires marking the ID and address of the person who did the work. This is foolish and needlessly destructive, in my opinion. I fenced with ATF many years ago asking why this useless marking necessary and the only response was because that is the law. No discussion or review. There is only ONE manufacturer of a registered DEWAT, and that is the original factory that did it.

There has never been any requirement for the ID and address of the person doing the reactivation to be included in the manufacturer/importer box. As noted above it can go in box H.

Might be time to make another attempt to have ATF cancel the marking requirement for reactivations…..