New Wood

Must be something in the air...mine's heading the same direction, DB stocks and all.

Out of idle curiosity, can I ask where you got your rear sight? That's the last component (short the reblue and the machine work) that I need to get mine finished out.

I called Ohio Ordnance and asked them if they had one left over from their 1918 Colt builds ... They did ... And it was pretty expensive. It came complete, blued, and ready to install on my rifle.

Must be something in the air...mine's heading the same direction, DB stocks and all.

Out of idle curiosity, can I ask where you got your rear sight? That's the last component (short the reblue and the machine work) that I need to get mine finished out.

You will not be disappointed with the Dan Block wood ... Easy to fit and is beautifully finished ... Dan also used the correct sling swivel on the stock.

post-260006-0-17726200-1533354117_thumb.jpg

I called Ohio Ordnance and asked them if they had one left over from their 1918 Colt builds ... They did ... And it was pretty expensive. It came complete, blued, and ready to install on my rifle.

I had the opposite problem, replacing a WWI rear sight with a WWII sight on this one. WWI sight went to Ebay the day it was replaced.

BAR1.jpg

That being the case...I half-wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to see if our local machinist could turn one out.

Anybody have both the early rear sight and an M1917 to compare? If it's a just a matter of the guard, it may well be cheaper to eat the cost of machine time rather than buying an original.

Thanks for that info.
I have a lot of the "ODD" BAR, FND and Browning parts still pending because I haven't had the time to research what is a fair price for the products.

In some cases it is work and time just to figure out what they are and what gun they are a part of.

Richard

J F Bell:

Hi J F, just a note that, in the dim and distant past (45 year ago) when almost all the transferable BARs were returns from England, we were all doing the opposite; that is taking the 1918 guns and making them 1918A2 configuration. As I remember the M1917 rear sight leaf and the 1918 BAR leaf were slightly different. I think the M1917 leaf was longer, and I always thought that was due to the difference in "sight radius" in that the M1917 had a 26" barrel while the BAR barrel is 24". Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be anymore.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Oldtrooper, very nice! I did the same thing last year, but I didnt find the rear sight box, might have to give Apex a call.

Nice ... That's what mine will look like when it's finished ... If you need the rear sight you might call Ohio Ordnance ... The one I purchased from them was complete with a blue finish ... It was expensive ... $540.00

post-260006-0-13757000-1534725457_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Working at a gun shop is one trick. ;)

There are two prep methods I've generally used with caustic bluing. One is to sand it off by hand, which is how the BAR went, and run it through the setup at work...that was an adventure. Once I got it completely dissembled the barreled action had about an inch of clearing either end of the tank. I did have to work out a couple of uneven spots that weren't apparent under the parked finish, but nothing too bad. Initially I toyed with the idea of rust bluing, but...there's a lot of steel on a BAR.

The other, which is a quicker and easier but sometimes unpredictable method is to blast a piece down to bare metal and work it over with a wire wheel before it goes in the salts. Although this worked well for me at school I haven't quite been able to duplicate the results at the new shop.

The latter is what I used on my Thompson and Model 12 projects and again in a later attempt to match Colt's WWI 'black army' finish.

43672961705_e41fee8b90_o_d.jpg

43864310574_7ec04d2581_o_d.jpg

43864315344_fa1c7674fa_z_d.jpg