Shrike jam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brucea4

brucea4

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

Anyone experience a jam like pictured with the Ares Defense Shrike?

Attached Files

#2 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:55 PM

I have seen it, but not personally experienced it.   The round does not nosedive fast enough because the topcover may not be closed all the way, or the feed tray has issues?  I made a feed tray back when they were shipping them with alum trays since I assumed they would get torn up.   I made one old school from an FN stamped tray the way Ares did them back before they milled them.  Guys refer to that as peening near the entrance to the barrel if it hits often enough.   Some have a relief cut in that area to help ramp the feeding?   That's really the only part of the design he screwed up where the tray should be a little lower in the receiver, but then you have the bolt to contend with.  There's a guy that sells an O ring to put under the upper pawl to force the round down harder, but that's a stopgap measure when the real problem can be the feed tray if you've exhausted all the other issues? 

I learned a ton about the system by making and fitting the feed tray.....but that was back a few years ago about 50 gun repairs/rebuilds back.  HTH

#3 brucea4

brucea4

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:49 AM

Interesting and thank you....

#4 brucea4

brucea4

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 AM

I have seen it, but not personally experienced it.   The round does not nosedive fast enough because the topcover may not be closed all the way, or the feed tray has issues?  I made a feed tray back when they were shipping them with alum trays since I assumed they would get torn up.   I made one old school from an FN stamped tray the way Ares did them back before they milled them.  Guys refer to that as peening near the entrance to the barrel if it hits often enough.   Some have a relief cut in that area to help ramp the feeding?   That's really the only part of the design he screwed up where the tray should be a little lower in the receiver, but then you have the bolt to contend with.  There's a guy that sells an O ring to put under the upper pawl to force the round down harder, but that's a stopgap measure when the real problem can be the feed tray if you've exhausted all the other issues? 

I learned a ton about the system by making and fitting the feed tray.....but that was back a few years ago about 50 gun repairs/rebuilds back.  HTH

How would the Shrike operate to begin with if the top cover is not closed all the way?  I will get several rounds out until one of these jams occur....