Gunshow Find - Toy Thompson

I would have loved that, when I was a kid, and it has Australian markings on it, incl. 'Factory Thorough Repair'.

Did you find it at the Oaks Show today? I was there most of the day and didn't see it..... Saw the seller with a Colt Thompson with drums and 3 stick mags in a FBI case for 53K....

Ron, No I didn't get the serial numbers. The seller wasn't even at the table. It was in the case with Don't Touch signs all over it......

I THINK I read someplace where A-O did make wooden replicas back in the 1940s for salesman or?

I'm sure someone here will know for sure.

Frank,

This is not one of the 1940's AO toys.

David

Hi David,

I realize that it's not one of those toys, but isn't there a picture of Russel Magure and Thompsons window with a dummy TSMG like that? (Tracies' book maybe)

Frank/Dave,

Who would be the best person to reach out to about getting more information about this piece. I would imagine there is a small group of people who just focus on Thompson toys/ memorabilia, doing some research I haven’t any such people or groups

Thanks

Ed

benedw60,

I have the same toy model Thompson, same serial number, etc.. I purchased it on ebay several years ago. Mine is a little more battle weary than yours, but still intact. I don't have any further information on it than you do right now. Looks like some kind of casting made out of fiberglass.

The model AO toys from the 40's that David referred to are wooden toy Thompsons manufactured by Maguire/AOC probably in the late summer/fall of 1945 and sold for the Christmas holidays at $5.98 each. They used surplus butt stocks and in a few cases, surplus pistol grips and fore grips to assemble these toys.

Thanks Mohawk64!
That was my display and although I haven't shown it for awhile I still have it all (except one of the guns I sold to Stenguy who really wanted his childhood Nichols Tommy capgun....think he offered me twice what I had into it and I sold it to him for half that as I'm not into making money over matters among friends! Just to see him smile made the trip a winner!
This is a toy Thompson I don't have (there are a few I don't own but have over 120).
As such I'll be looking for one as well as some of the others, and always looking to upgrade too. If anyone has one for sale, let me know please?

I actually like the guns that show a moderate amount of use as they were played with and if they could only talk......a few of mine are new and in original packaging but most have been thoroughly loved!
Perhaps it's time for me to display it again.....my kids had a lot of fun helping me put that display together for the 2005 show.....now they are 29 and 31!
Thanks for reminding me....good memories!

john

(john anderson)

currently NOT freezing in Minnesota but basking in Northern Florida and southern Georgia!

Edited by john

• 3 months later...

Did you find it at the Oaks Show today? I was there most of the day and didn't see it..... Saw the seller with a Colt Thompson with drums and 3 stick mags in a FBI case for 53K....

Did you happen to get the serial number of the Thompson and Drum

Saw that 1921 Colt again at the Oaks over the weekend. Serial was 4976. Had D.P.D. stamped in the butt stock and pistol grip. The seller let me handle the stock and there wasn't any anchor stamp on it. He told me only military guns had the anchor stamp. After that I walked away. Gun wasn't in great shape, But was in a hard case with one drum and 4 sticks. Still at $53K......